MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching for a small sport car to replace my 2001 Intense Blue Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, I finally found the car. I recently purchased a 2004 Paradise Blue MR2 Spyder with the 6-speed SMT. It has black leather interior and a black top. Purchased it with only 61K miles on it. I am currently a student at TN Tech for M.E. and work as a full-time Mechanical Technician for the Test Engineering group of Cummins Filtration. I mainly needed something the replace the Dakota that only got 15-16MPG, with something a little more fuel effiecent.

I actually stumble upon these cars will search for other cars. I originally was looking for a Pontiac Fiero, but decided since most were in pretty bad shape I'd look at other things. Then I ventured into looking for a turbocharged Supra. Almost bought one but then I found out the guy had dorked around with the engine and turbo so much that it was having a bunch of problems. Then it happened I was sitting at a gas station filling up and a red MR2 Spyder pulled up behind me. That's what got me looking at those. But after buying it I realized I may have wanted this car way before I knew what it was...

...Back in 2003 while car shopping with my parents for my mother's new minivan we went to a Toyota dealership. They had sitting in the show room a brand new 2003 MR2 Spyder in silver. I thought it was a sweet car and that I should keep it in mind if I ever want a small sport car...

...Years later here I am with a 2004 MR2 Spyder to my name...

I joined another MR2 forum, but I quickly learned that 90% of the information on the site was for the MK2 MR2s and not the MR2 Spyders, even though there were a few on there.

I'm hoping to get information on anything that comes up in the future with owning this car...

...Currently, I'm look for tires to fit the 15"/16" set up and the capacity needed to change out the SMT fluid since it is probably due to be changed...

Currently at work right now. Pictures will be posted soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Read this.

I am currently a student at TN Tech for M.E. and work as a full-time Mechanical Technician for the Test Engineering group of Cummins Filtration.
My wife and two brothers are Tennessee Tech alumni.

I mainly needed something the replace the Dakota that only got 15-16MPG, with something a little more fuel effiecent.
You can expect twice that with the Spyder.

I joined another MR2 forum, but I quickly learned that 90% of the information on the site was for the MK2 MR2s and not the MR2 Spyders, even though there were a few on there.
I thnk I know the site you're referring to. DumbAsses, one and all (the Spyder guys, that is)

I'm hoping to get information on anything that comes up in the future with owning this car...
You'll find it here, if you search: If you don't search, don't ask.
If you're thin-skinned or are confrontational, go elsewhere.
There is much to be gained here, but a-holes are not well tolerated.
Use proper English (not that you didn't). txt spch & thos who use it sx & we dnt lk it.

Currently, I'm look for tires to fit the 15"/16" set up and the capacity needed to change out the SMT fluid since it is probably due to be changed...
Tires:
185/55R15 Front
205/45R16 Rear

SMT Fluid:
You're on your own.
I don't do SMT.
:eek:

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Fellow M.E. major here as well.

The SMT is actually a fully manual transmission, clutch and all. When you say SMT fluid, are you referring to the trans fluid itself?

On tires, many people step up to a 195 front tire to open up more options on tire sizes. When it comes to tires, don't mix and match brands, as this car being lightweight and short will exaggerate tire differences. Many run the Yokohama S.Drives and like them, good all around tire.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Welcome. I'm without a computer right now and I cannot cut and paste the link for you from my phone, but if you will do a search for all threads started by me, there is one (started in May or June) where I was looking for tire recommendations. You will find some really great input from other members about tire sizes and vendors. Congrats on your new-to-you Spider. . . and :welcome:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Welcome. I'm without a computer right now and I cannot cut and paste the link for you from my phone, but if you will do a search for all threads started by me, there is one (started in May or June) where I was looking for tire recommendations. You will find some really great input from other members about tire sizes and vendors.
I think you're referring to this thread?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The SMT is actually a fully manual transmission, clutch and all. When you say SMT fluid, are you referring to the trans fluid itself?
It's the fluid that Toyota makes called Sequential MT. It's this stuff: http://jaytec-lubricants.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_9_31&products_id=95

I imagine the Transaxle uses a different fluid from this stuff...

Welcome. I'm without a computer right now and I cannot cut and paste the link for you from my phone, but if you will do a search for all threads started by me, there is one (started in May or June) where I was looking for tire recommendations. You will find some really great input from other members about tire sizes and vendors. Congrats on your new-to-you Spider. . . and :welcome:
I found your thread...

It seems everyone loves the S.Drives from Yokohama...

My father says he found some Michelins that fit... but I have yet to find them...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Take TBone's advice and shell out for the RE11s!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad to see you here

Welcome abord, enjoy you new to you MR2; get to know it well before geting wild with it and you'll
have years of PERMAGRIN to come.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I promised photos ASAP... But I've been lazy getting those. Though I must say I am quite pleased with this MR2...

Filled up Friday last week at the pump. Filled up for about $35. It took close to $70 to fill up my Dakota. Also, I calculated my MPG and got 33.4 MPG versus the 15-16 MPG I was getting in my truck.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pictures and a Few Questions

I finally got around to uploading picture of the day I bought it. It was a cloudy Saturday in Sevierville, TN. Also, squeezed in some pictures of the car's first wash which was a a overcast day up until I got done then it was full sun. Wished I had taken better shots and more shots. Maybe next wash time around.

If you see a red Cummins Test Truck in the back that's my work truck we drove to pick the car up in...

I forgot that Dad took the pictures while I was doing the wheels...

Also, I was think to taking the Cowboy Hat Toyota emblem off a do the J-spec badge but I don't know what color badge would look good with the Paradise Blue. Anybody got any color suggestions?

Also, the other day when I was talking to my Dad, he said one of the local guys around him took a toyota Truck debadged the Toyota Badges and rebadged with Lexus emblems. He said I should do that... But I don't think the pegs for the hood emblem would line up correct. Would it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Very nice looking car and I know what you mean going from a truck to the Spyder. I drive a V8 tundra and it loves to fund the terrorist. I drove my wife's spyder to work today and of course had to fill it up but what a difference. She usually gets similar mpg numbers as you. Regarding changing the badges to Lexus, I personally wouldn't do it. We've had a couple of other spyders over the years and I did debadge one and it was kind of fun to watch folks try to figure out what it was. With our current spyder, I've left the badges alone and its just as much fun to hear people say, "when did Toyota start making a car like this?" Guess enough time has gone by that many people think that this is a new Toyota model. Anyway enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome to the forums! That color looks GREAT in the last two pics. The car looks to be in excellent condition.

Yea, I don't see the point in putting lexus badges on it. I mean all lexuses are toyotas, but not all toyotas are lexuses. Unless you want to be an ig'nant 'merican, I would either debadge or rebadge JDM.

I'm sure you already know this, but these mid-engined 2 seaters drive much differently, so take some time to get used to it before whipping it around corners. Also, just a tip, a lot of these spyders perish in the rain. When it rains, drive like a grandma.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice looking car and I know what you mean going from a truck to the Spyder. I drive a V8 tundra and it loves to fund the terrorist...Regarding changing the badges to Lexus, I personally wouldn't do it.
I went from a 4.7L v8 Dakota to the Spyder. I agree on the Lexus badging...

The car looks to be in excellent condition...I would either debadge or rebadge is JDM...When it rains, drive like a grandma.
Yeah I guy I bought it from had it garage kept he was second owner, he bought it from a dealership as a certified used car at a Toyota dealership. The original owner was a women that traded in her MR2 and a Toyota Corrolla for a 4 Runner.

I'm think I might change the nose badge to the JDM badge though I don't know what color would look good on the Blue. Maybe Black, since it has a black top and interior?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts