MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Im definitely gonna get this since ppe is back ordered. All i need is a new header and dp for my exhaust systemto be complete so ill be getting this. Its cheap too

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Not a bad looking copy of the PPE, and for 285.00 its worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
It's not a copy of the PPE. The PPE has port 1 and for being routed to the bottom of the 4-1 collector, and port 2 and 3 being routed to the top. This means the pulses from two chambers are meeting where the gasses collect at the same time. This exhaust is a little different, the pulses will be spaced. I couldn't speculate what the performance difference would be, if anything.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
It's not a copy of the PPE. The PPE has port 1 and for being routed to the bottom of the 4-1 collector, and port 2 and 3 being routed to the top. This means the pulses from two chambers are meeting where the gasses collect at the same time. This exhaust is a little different, the pulses will be spaced. I couldn't speculate what the performance difference would be, if anything.
It would be negligible, if anything at all, they all end at the same time in the collector, so the effects are the same no matter orientation. The main thing with a 4-1 is equal length tubes, more so the length is what's used to 'tune' the pulses.

You want to pair cylinders on a 4-2 header, to help scavenging.

Also with this OBX you'll still have to get the wiring patch for the 02 sensors from PPE or make your own.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't it sound a little bit more choppy?

·
Registered
740 Posts
That setup looks really good!! and is it covered by OBX warranty!!

It is really tempting..... but I wish they had a high flow CAT instead of the CATless.

On their Ebay website, it shows they are located in Oakland CA which is about 40mins away from my house. I am thinking to go check it out if none of the SF members go first and report back to us.

Rasheed

Edit: they mention that "No local pick up"

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Wouldn't it sound a little bit more choppy?

This is similar to what it looks like in the merge section. It shouldn't make any difference in sound no matter which pipe goes where. At least any sound that is detectable by human ears.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i had a obx header on my old car and it was fine other than the flex pipe failing and i just had to get a new one. other than that, it was all good

·
Registered
553 Posts
Looks like cheap crap to me!!
You run CHE so I don't see how you can comment. Stamped rolled flange vs a real flange. I wonder which is better? And besides you never even seen them yet. I think the OBX headers I bought for my girls Civic before we sold the car looked better then the CHE unit on my car right now.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've had a less than good experience with PPE in the past on two seperate occasions and know of a few other members on the board that had the same so I would recomend to any one on the fence at this point to pull the trigger with this OBX unit, its worth a shot. I'm sure this OBX unit will be great as it looks almost identical to the PPE version but even better because it's stainless and wont rust so you wont have to worry about flaking paint down the road not to mention its a fraction of the price and you wont have to wait 2-3 months for it to ship, also looks like you will recieve all needed gaskets.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Bought one, we'll see how it compares to my Che and Che cat less down pipe...

If the OBX is better I'll have a Che setup for sale! lol

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Isn't it kinda weird that the tubes on cylinders one and two are considerably longer before the first bend than three and four? I'd still rather waste my money on a PPE or Zero header any day of the week.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I agree. A nice brace or flex section would go a long way, unless it's made of much heavier steel than the normal OBX stuff. I guess we'll see.
That's what caught my eye. No flex section is going to be a disaster in the making.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts