MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a recent new owner and I have to say first impressions are good. It handles extremely well.
It was bought with a damaged engine (probably the pre cats) with the intention to k20 swap it.

What I had assumed was a scratch on the driver's side door upon closer inspection appears to be a crack. (Pic below)
I was under the impression that they are steel doors so am unsure what to do.

Any insight would be useful particularly if anyone has seen this before.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
653 Posts
Welcome. Door wouldn't ever crack unless there was plastic from damage or poor paint prep. You will need to be able to answer those questions to determine the problem. Did you run a CARFAX on the car prior to purchase? Is it a repaint? One recent 2005 owner got some bad news when his 115k mile car really had 225k miles. I keep a list of 2005 cars and had the car prior to his purchase. Lee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers that's what I thought too

I did a hpi check and as the seller had mentioned it was written off in 2014 due to some cosmetic front end damage that was privately repaired.
They shouldn't have needed to touch the door but I can't ignore the evidence.

I guess I will do some careful exploration later but yeah might be filler

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well not as bad as a split door and as for fixing it I will probably just leave it as I plan for this to be a track toy that I might smarten up over time

It's a bit hard to justify pouring money into the body when the engine is worth twice as much

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
A deer ran into my spyder a few years back so the left front fender and door skin had to be replaced. They are metal. I have some scratches and chips on my spyder and note that the OEM primer is white. I can't tell from you pic if this is a scratch or a crack. If it was important to me I would remove the handle and inspect. Old MGB's developed cracks at the drivers mirror mount area. I have seen no evidence for spyders cracking in this location.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Door card is comeing off this weekend
Either it's got a fatoff dent and a butt ton of filler or its got a split.

As a side note is it common for the ragtop drainage tubes to leak?

It looks a easy fix but the design of it looks interesting to say the least.
(Not rust just sludge)
Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
298 Posts
Door card is comeing off this weekend
Either it's got a fatoff dent and a butt ton of filler or its got a split.

As a side note is it common for the ragtop drainage tubes to leak? View attachment 74295
It looks a easy fix but the design of it looks interesting to say the least.
(Not rust just sludge)
Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I havent gotten round to taking the doorcard off yet but i did push a little bit of bondo into the crack and will sort it properly some point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts