MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Bought my first MR2 last month. It's a 2000 Spectra Blue Mica with 178,5000 original miles, with an engine that was rebuilt around the 90k mile mark. Overall I would call this car a little rough, but I purchased it to strip out and use as a track and endurance race car. Mechanically seems sound and there's no rust anywhere (well except for the stock exhaust - looks horrible). Car came from SC (drove down and picked up) and looks to have spent it's life in only SC and TX.

This is my first Toyota. Currently I also own a 2012 C63 AMG and 2017 VW GTI Sport. Previous sports cars are Porsche Cayman S, Subaru BRZ, Honda S2000 and Integra GS-R.

I'm looking forward to the ownership experience :) Here's a photo from when I picked up car.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
204 Posts
Welcome to Spyderchat!

If you are feeling 20 years late to the party, here is an unofficial little starter kit I have been putting together:

----------------------------------------------------
Some fun history and facts:
It all started with Spyder Magazine. Still some great articles there for DiY to this day.

Here is a neat 2007 Top Speed Article featuring the design philosophies, specs, and features of the vehicle.

Buyers Guides:
Don't miss Oldman's Buyer's guide in the Library.
Another good Compendium

Parts:
See attached Parts List pdf. Always a great place to start, and I typically buy from these main Toyota OEM direct/wholesalers.

Toyota Direct
Conicelli
Toyota Parts Overstock
Toyota Parts Deal
EB Toyota Parts
Lithia

Maint:
Welcome to the Toyota ZZ family! Generally great little engines. Watch for oil consumption when driven at consistently high RPMs. This is noted in the owners manual.

Power steering system; Toyota doesn't make the fluid recommended anymore. Really smart people at SpyderChat did the oil analysis to determine the best substitute here. I went with the Nissan E-PSF. The reservoir is under the frunk plastic and often neglected.

Don't Forget:
Replace Air Filter, Clean your MAF, Reset your ECU, as it increases HP!

Other Notes:
Toyota added the front spoiler (below) sometime in 2001 as a OEM aero fix to help keep the front more planted and lessen any "wandering" at highway speeds. (part# 76851-17070) It's widely recommended around SC.

Good luck and sweet car!

Attachments

Reactions: Solennel

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Any plans for an engine swap or tracking it as is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna track as is until she pops (if she pops).

I know it's not the end all be all sign of engine health, but I did a compression test a few weeks ago and got 190, 170, 185 and 190 psi.

As a side note would be great if she doesn't pop! Would start to hurt my confidence, as that's how my Cayman died...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Welcome aboard. The MR2 Spyder scratches an itch that few other cars can scratch, and at a price point that is unbelievably low.

I look forward to your escapades.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Rebuilt 1zz's don't have a great reputation on here & compression already varies a decent amount across cylinders. I hope she lasts for you but if it blows I wouldn't take it as a personal affront. On the bright side swap options aren't as costly as most other platforms...depending on what is chosen of course. Keep us up to date on the track build as it comes along.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Gonna track as is until she pops (if she pops).

I know it's not the end all be all sign of engine health, but I did a compression test a few weeks ago and got 190, 170, 185 and 190 psi.

As a side note would be great if she doesn't pop! Would start to hurt my confidence, as that's how my Cayman died...
With those results, I would check your valve clearances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts