MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Bought my first MR2 last month. It's a 2000 Spectra Blue Mica with 178,5000 original miles, with an engine that was rebuilt around the 90k mile mark. Overall I would call this car a little rough, but I purchased it to strip out and use as a track and endurance race car. Mechanically seems sound and there's no rust anywhere (well except for the stock exhaust - looks horrible). Car came from SC (drove down and picked up) and looks to have spent it's life in only SC and TX.

This is my first Toyota. Currently I also own a 2012 C63 AMG and 2017 VW GTI Sport. Previous sports cars are Porsche Cayman S, Subaru BRZ, Honda S2000 and Integra GS-R.

I'm looking forward to the ownership experience :) Here's a photo from when I picked up car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna track as is until she pops (if she pops).

I know it's not the end all be all sign of engine health, but I did a compression test a few weeks ago and got 190, 170, 185 and 190 psi.

As a side note would be great if she doesn't pop! Would start to hurt my confidence, as that's how my Cayman died...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I haven't updated the thread much, hasn't been much to report! All resources recently have been going to my C63 for a few track events and some Lemon races. But the focus will be shifting soon to this car. Recently removed the power steering and currently have the rear end all apart as a friend and I have plans to fabricate an exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Exhaust is done and sounds pretty good (IMO at least!). Here are a few photos of the new exhaust system. We reused the OEM exhaust manifold, included a catalytic converter, and adopted a muffler than a friend of mine had just laying around. Besides the good sound, its also about 20 lb lighter than the OEM pieces. Honestly I think we screwed up a little but going with 2.5 inch piping the whole way, which I realize (now and then) is overkill, haha. We also went with the high mount exhaust exit specifically to make room for future installation of a lower rear diffuser. To accommodate that we had to notch the bumper cross beam, but we properly modified it to maintain all rigidity. Below is link to video clip.

All comments/criticism welcome.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts