MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 04 spyder the other day. After doing some searching I found out the the 04's came with an option for a limited slip differential. Any body have any idea how to identify the LSD. Some of the users over at MR2 Owners Club directed me to spydercaht, maybe someone over here will know.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twosheds @ Jul 15 2007, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just picked up an 04 spyder the other day. After doing some searching I found out the the 04's came with an option for a limited slip differential. Any body have any idea how to identify the LSD. Some of the users over at MR2 Owners Club directed me to spydercaht, maybe someone over here will know.[/b]
Because its not a 100% positive locking differential you cant simply raise the rear end and turn one wheel and watch the other one to see if it turns too.

The LSD requires some torque to engage therefore theres only two sure-fire ways to find out.

1. Pull an axle and look for a cross shaft.
or
2. Crank the wheel all the way left or right and floor it in 1st gear. It should leave TWO tire tracks.

Is it coded in the VIN?

· Registered
466 Posts
On the VIN plate inside the left door jamb--

look in the lower left corner, under the C/TR (color/trim) codes. You'll see the line A/TM XXX/XXX(axle/transmission).

LSD is axle code 01B, and transmission code for 5-speed is C56 (EDIT: not 056 as I posted). At least it is on my '05.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
The door jamb plate on my LSD-less 2000 with the 5MT is coded 01A/C56.

01A=NO-LSD
01B=LSD

7 years of ownership and I'm still learning the obvious....

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Akira @ Jul 15 2007, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On the VIN plate inside the left door jamb--

look in the lower left corner, under the C/TR (color/trim) codes. You'll see the line A/TM XXX/XXX(axle/transmission).

LSD is axle code 01B, and transmission code for 5-speed is 056. At least it is on my '05.[/b]
Awesome, that is what I was looking for
Thanks Akira. I tried the burnout/donut test. But was hoping for some concrete evidence. My '04 is an 01B so it does have the limited slip diff.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTS @ Jul 16 2007, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The door jamb plate on my LSD-less 2000 with the 5MT is coded 01A/C56.

01A=NO-LSD
01B=LSD

7 years of ownership and I'm still learning the obvious....
[/b]
Interesting.. mine (a UK car) reads 02B-C56 - I'm presuming that indicates an LSD fitted with the Euro final drive ring gear.

· Registered
419 Posts
-01A on mine...damn, I wish you guys could've posted this before I purchased my spyder, cuz the previous owner told m he bought it with LSD as an option, now I know...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.