MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a new member here been lurking for a bit. Loving driving the car and just the rawness that modern vehicles today lack. I'm mechanically inclined and was wondering how many guys on here daily their cars and advice on keeping them running smoothly would be appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Daily driver for 5 years with no problems at all. Keep an eye on your fluids and don't yank on that E-brake too hard, especially if it's going to get cold outside... it might not let go for you and then you'll play a waiting game.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the reliability and general economy of the car. Other than the stupid amounts of money I keep voluntarily dumping into it, it's very easy on the wallet.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Oh... advise... you asked for advise.

OK, use Toyota coolant. Motul oil has worked very well for me, as have Redline gear oil and brake fluid.

If you replace your top, I recommend "Haartz Stayfast Cloth" - it really looks great and has withstood some extreme weather conditions thus far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! It's been a Florida car for a while and for the most part I've found very little rust just under the kick panels to the door sills. I assume it's where water pools under the plastics. My car is due for brake cables they do stick but it's warm here and I use my gears to park it in place. I've gone through the car with an oil change brake flush and clutch line flush but still want to do a transmission oil change. It's coming up due for suspension work and I'm saving for OEM parts now. I also had one coil pack go bad #3 an it drove me nuts for a day running crappy other wise it's still an awesome car to get behind the wheel for.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Welcome! Keeping these cars running as a daily is simple. Run synthetic 5W-30, change every 8k or so (to taste really, quality synthetic oil will last beyond 8k easy). Change coolant once in a while, change gear oil once in a while. These are probably every 60k mile jobs. longer if you're lazy. Redline it once in a while. And just enjoy. They're very reliable cars and fun dailies and in the 3+ years I dailied mine, I had almost no issues. An O2 sensor here, a worn out clutch there.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bought my spyder new in October of 2000. I dailyed it for 13 years. A 60 mile round trip each day. No real problems. Replaced one wheel bearing, and an O2 sensor, other than wear items, that's it. I retired in 2014 so I don't get to drive it as much as I used to. Now it has 211,000 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the encouraging news about the longevity of these cars! I got mine with a little over 100k on the odometer so it was on the back of my mind how it would hold up over the long run. So far I’ve been cleaning the years of grime off just about everything plastic and I got the top battened down correctly as one of the prior owners wasn’t as meticulous as I would have been in the install process. Here I Florida rain is a constant and I can’t do leaks as I have to carry my work bag and some personal things dry for long work days. The canvas top it has now does seem fairly stable and I used an m3 canvas water protection spray that made it 10 times more water repellent as it does not saturate it any longer like before. For now my concern is the rubber moldings that line the doors and windows 18 years of sunshine is starting to take their toll on the integrity of the material and I want to avoid future problems but dealers nearby say those parts are special order coming from Japan. I’m not afraid of getting in a junkyard if the part I need is in good condition though. Trim parts for these car seem hard to locate too I’m missing one tiny piece for the roof release behind the seat other wise I should be 99% complete other than the owners manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And my paint is a little faded but I had that color combination on my mind and heart since I was a little kid really no lie! It still draws attention every where I drive it’s crazy how many people ask what is that car and who makes that car?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Oh... advise... you asked for advise.

OK, use Toyota coolant. Motul oil has worked very well for me, as have Redline gear oil and brake fluid.

If you replace your top, I recommend "Haartz Stayfast Cloth" - it really looks great and has withstood some extreme weather conditions thus far.
A good substitute for Toyota coolant is the version of prestone that states "Corguard" on the label. The life of the coolant is 10 years. When replacing coolant, get a copy of the factory procedure for refilling.
Dave

·
Registered
2001 MR2
3 Posts
I drive the one daily with little to no problems... Be very diligent about all the above suggestions to keep it running smoothly....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging news about the longevity of these cars! I got mine with a little over 100k on the odometer so it was on the back of my mind how it would hold up over the long run. So far I’ve been cleaning the years of grime off just about everything plastic and I got the top battened down correctly as one of the prior owners wasn’t as meticulous as I would have been in the install process. Here I Florida rain is a constant and I can’t do leaks as I have to carry my work bag and some personal things dry for long work days. The canvas top it has now does seem fairly stable and I used an m3 canvas water protection spray that made it 10 times more water repellent as it does not saturate it any longer like before. For now my concern is the rubber moldings that line the doors and windows 18 years of sunshine is starting to take their toll on the integrity of the material and I want to avoid future problems but dealers nearby say those parts are special order coming from Japan. I’m not afraid of getting in a junkyard if the part I need is in good condition though. Trim parts for these car seem hard to locate too I’m missing one tiny piece for the roof release behind the seat other wise I should be 99% complete other than the owners manual.
I also drive mine daily since picking it up 3 years ago. Love it all year long in Missouri. As a rule, the top stays down unless it gets below freezing outside. Let me know if you need help with that top release cover. If it's the one I'm thinking about, I have 3d-printed a replacement plastic piece that has the Toyota logo and covers the two bolts. Or if you have your own printer, you can find it on Thingiverse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the group. I’ve owned my 2001 for about 10yrs. It has an engine swap after burning a quart of oil in less than 100 miles. After new motor, no oil consumption. Intake and exhaust are after market. suspension has been changed to full race - just for fun. I have a race car for the racing fun. I like the stiff drive. Coil overs added this year and lowered the car. New seats and top. lights changed to LED. I drive it almost every day. Love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi I'm a new member here been lurking for a bit. Loving driving the car and just the rawness that modern vehicles today lack. I'm mechanically inclined and was wondering how many guys on here daily their cars and advice on keeping them running smoothly would be appreciated.
Hi Eagle,
I am about as new as you. I just purchased my Spyder in Sept, 2019, I am the second owner. I bot it online from a dealer in Dallas, I'm from CA, for 7k. My car looks just like yours, not many like ours (green w/tan). Anyways let me tell a story about my experience so far. As soon as I got it not long after driving it for about 100 miles, the check engine light went on. I had not even begun the process of registering the vehicle until I get a smog check. It ended up needing new fuel injectors for a cost of almost 700 bucks. Then not long after I passed smog, the car started surging, so I took it back to the guys that fixed the injectors, and they said nothing wrong. So....now March, 2020, it started to get really bad on the surging, shortly after riding around for about a half hour or longer. Finally took it to Toyota to check it out. It turns out it has a bad HPU (hydraulic pressure unit) and GSA (gear shift actuator). New parts 10k, used parts 3.2k and labor 1.8k. Found parts online for 1.4k. So be prepared for an expensive fix if you have SMT. But I still love the car. I am a Toyota guy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi Eagle,
I am about as new as you. I just purchased my Spyder in Sept, 2019, I am the second owner. I bot it online from a dealer in Dallas, I'm from CA, for 7k. My car looks just like yours, not many like ours (green w/tan). Anyways let me tell a story about my experience so far. As soon as I got it not long after driving it for about 100 miles, the check engine light went on. I had not even begun the process of registering the vehicle until I get a smog check. It ended up needing new fuel injectors for a cost of almost 700 bucks. Then not long after I passed smog, the car started surging, so I took it back to the guys that fixed the injectors, and they said nothing wrong. So....now March, 2020, it started to get really bad on the surging, shortly after riding around for about a half hour or longer. Finally took it to Toyota to check it out. It turns out it has a bad HPU (hydraulic pressure unit) and GSA (gear shift actuator). New parts 10k, used parts 3.2k and labor 1.8k. Found parts online for 1.4k. So be prepared for an expensive fix if you have SMT. But I still love the car. I am a Toyota guy.
Randy you need to join the Facebook smt group. I am skeptical of your repairs because most dealers don’t know how to work on our transmissions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Randy,
I have only seen one other green and tan mr2 here in Orlando and it was a very low priced smt $4500. I purchased mine two hours away for $4800 and it's a 5 speed. It's been a project to find all the little knick knacks and buttoning down the car for every day use. It did have a new set of s-drive tires so it's been lots of fun in the curves with the car. How often do you put the top down Randy? Here in Florida it's mugcy hot and super sunny so stop and go traffic is kinda brutal. My top is finally keeping the rain out after much adjustment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't subscribe to Facebook. This outfit in Detroit is called monkey wrench. They sold me the parts and they seem like a reputable outfit. Let me know if there are any bad reviews.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the group. I’ve owned my 2001 for about 10yrs. It has an engine swap after burning a quart of oil in less than 100 miles. After new motor, no oil consumption. Intake and exhaust are after market. suspension has been changed to full race - just for fun. I have a race car for the racing fun. I like the stiff drive. Coil overs added this year and lowered the car. New seats and top. lights changed to LED. I drive it almost every day. Love it.
View attachment 75586
I love the wheels on your car. Are they 16's or 17's. I also love that car in the background. Is that yours?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts