MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Pretty excited to join the community with a 2002 MR2 Spyder with 130k miles. I've been reading a bit and it seems like one of the first orders of business is to gut the precats. After that, change all the fluids and maybe start looking into bracing.

Anything big that I've missed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! Tires were just changed 2 months ago by the previous owner for Hankook Ventus V12. He put 205/50R15 front and rear rather than the stock stagger.

No valve check history though. I've read its more complicated because you need the shims rather than just adjusting it. Is this something most people take to a shop or does everyone buy a set of shims?

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's worse than shims. Different sized lifters. And I'll never attempt it again without dropping the engine. If the timing chain slips on the crank pulley your screwed.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
We checked the clearances on our 2003 at 130,000 miles and they were still in the middle of spec. Still, it would be wise to check them. Checking is easy - changing, not so much.

·
Registered
209 Posts
But you can check the valve lash with the engine in place no problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Placing any nut, bolt, tool, or object on the body work between the roof trim and the engine cover opening is a potential pitfall....

Reactions: shabody

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is anyone in the southern California area or more specifically Orange County? I'd like to see another MR2 Spyder just to compare and see what is stock and what's been modified on mine.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Is anyone in the southern California area or more specifically Orange County? I'd like to see another MR2 Spyder just to compare and see what is stock and what's been modified on mine.
There's a lot of us out here either in LA or OC area. Meet ups aren't as big of a thing anymore though. If you post in the USA West sub-forum you might find some around you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's a lot of us out here either in LA or OC area. Meet ups aren't as big of a thing anymore though. If you post in the USA West sub-forum you might find some around you.
Thanks! I'll try in the USA West sub-forum. It seemed pretty dead in there so I wasn't sure if it was used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one biggest QoL change I made to my 01 was replacing the original headlights with 03+ headlights.
I like the simplicity of the pre-facelift headlights actually. Just 1 headlight bulb per side. They are plenty bright for me because I don't really drive many places without street lights.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Welcome aboard! There are quite a few members near you, just give it a little time you'll get some responses.

How about some pictures of that new car?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I like the simplicity of the pre-facelift headlights actually. Just 1 headlight bulb per side. They are plenty bright for me because I don't really drive many places without street lights.
I've engine swapped my car, the FL headlights are still my favorite mod. I love the look of the PFL lights but eventually you realize they aren't plenty bright at all....you're driving solely off of street lights & it makes no difference with them on or off. You only realize that when going someplace that doesn't have street lighting though Luckily no real animal hazards in SoCal (maybe a couple of errant coyotes?) so you'll be fine either way. Welcome to the club. I would consider:

-Change all fluids (engine oil, transaxle, brake fluid, ePSF, coolant)
-gutting precats
-cleaning soft top drains, although with all the rain 8n Socal recently the car would be flooded 8f there was an issue with those

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've engine swapped my car, the FL headlights are still my favorite mod. I love the look of the PFL lights but eventually you realize they aren't plenty bright at all....you're driving solely off of street lights & it makes no difference with them on or off. You only realize that when going someplace that doesn't have street lighting though Luckily no real animal hazards in SoCal (maybe a couple of errant coyotes?) so you'll be fine either way. Welcome to the club. I would consider:

-Change all fluids (engine oil, transaxle, brake fluid, ePSF, coolant)
-gutting precats
-cleaning soft top drains, although with all the rain 8n Socal recently the car would be flooded 8f there was an issue with those
Thanks for the info. I guess I've never really needed the headlights on this car yet.

Just did engine oil, trans gear oil, and power steering (didn't know it pumped out so fast). Coolant and brake fluid are next.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I love the look of the PFL lights but eventually you realize they aren't plenty bright at all....you're driving solely off of street lights & it makes no difference with them on or off. You only realize that when going someplace that doesn't have street lighting though
Maybe you never had the lights properly on, just the DRL's. My PFL headlights(Sylvania ZXE's) provide excellent lighting, and I often get "flashed" by oncoming drivers thinking my low beams are hi-beams. The light pattern is excellent too. Now, do I prefer FL projectors? Yes, but I have no need to spend those $$$'s, knowing my current headlights do their job well.
And yes, I drive my Spyder at night and to work in the morning, well before the Sun rises.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
[QUOTE="Galo, post: 2168630, member: . . and I often get "flashed" by oncoming drivers thinking my low beams are hi-beams. The light pattern is excellent too.[/QUOTE]

I'm not much of a betting person but I'd confidently say that you're being flashed by others bc the light pattern from "bright" bulbs in a reflector housing causes so much scatter that it does indeed blind oncoming traffic exactly as high beams would

Reactions: henpenben

·
Registered
189 Posts
Welcome! Looks like you are doing well with the info the other members recommended. I am also socal local...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts