MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going ev with my spyder, I will use a 3-phase a/c motor, with a combination of a 3k onan in the front. I fiugure that I should have plenty of room considering that I will no longer need the radiator and most of the other components. Some features will be absent, such as power steering, A/C, power braking/abs, but I have figured out how to have a heater at least. The object here is to make the vehicle absolutely as light as possible. I will be selling all off the major components of the vehicle to all of those interested. An hybrid gen/ev vehicle will be pretty cool, not to be fast, but to be efficient. I really can't wait to take this thing to a meet.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Interesting - a coal powered car!
As a kid I recall balsa madel airplanes that used a long rubber band that you'd wind up to power the propeller. Now that would be a novel approach! And it wouldn't need either petroleum or electricity.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
I really can't wait to take this thing to a meet.
I never see that happening. I think you have proven to not do what you set out to do except fill pages.
I highly recommend posting pictures of the work in progress to gain credibility.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I never see that happening. I think you have proven to not do what you set out to do except fill pages.
I highly recommend posting pictures of the work in progress to gain credibility.
+1. I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
+1. I was thinking the same thing.
I have discovered over the years on these forums there are four kinds of people.

1. Ones that discuss their project but never do anything.
2. Ones that start, post a lot initially and never finish. They usually end up selling a work in progress to pay for a divorce.
3. Ones that start the project, take pictures along the way but take forever to finish. 1-3 years at which point most have already lost interest.

4. Ones that have already started before posting and don't have any time to post pictures because they know what they are doing. They have the budget to order parts on demand and their biggest problem is getting the parts delivered on time. So while the parts are in transit they find the time to post a picture or two to keep those who are interested informed on the progress. They may ask one or two questions but find them self's answering questions.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
If you can make this happen you'll be a big hit at the local meets. Forget about road trips. What kind of range are you expecting?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Don't forget that much of the OP's time was occupied by serving in Afghanistan.
The same could be said for Sammy Sandbag.
No, I retract that. You can't say "the same thing could be said" because Sammy didn't let his tours (yes, plural) in that war zone keep him from finishing his Rotrex'd 2ZZ!

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
it's a $10k+ conversion, it's been done before.
I believe there are three cars in one form or another that is EV and guess what they don't post here. I kind of wish they would post as we could gain a lot of inspiration on building our own kits if the parts were affordable.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ooohhhh

Whatever became of your turbo diesel project?
still working on that, I have a rather special set of components that I need to source and modify, if I am to succeed in my goal. I would say unobtainium, or flux capacitor, however the components really do exist, but are expensive difficult to source, and the machinist's neccesary to do the work are few, and difficult to find. I have moved on at least to the point that I am tired of my spyder just being a very attractive lawn ornament.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can make this happen you'll be a big hit at the local meets. Forget about road trips. What kind of range are you expecting?
not sure at this point, I am playing around with a fairly unknown concept, a back-emf type of regenerative acceleration. As you all know, the spyder is a bit lacking in the space department, so I am not sure at this point what type of batteries and how many I want to work with. I will be using an onan genset from a motorhome "I had this just lying around" a 3k to augment power. This uses far less gasoline than a 1zz or 2zz would and produces enough power to extend mileage almost double.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it's a $10k+ conversion, it's been done before.
yes.... well mine won't cost anywhere near that much, I have most of the materials I need from a previous Tesla coil project. I need to source a 3-phase motor and some batteries, as well as an inverter, but that is about it. I already have transmissions out the ying yang and plenty of other components.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The same could be said for Sammy Sandbag.
No, I retract that. You can't say "the same thing could be said" because Sammy didn't let his tours (yes, plural) in that war zone keep him from finishing his Rotrex'd 2ZZ!
www.battleofthebuilds.com
I have been busy
I also have a professional carreer to worry about. I also place high value on spending as much time as I can with my daughter, so that she doesn't end up on motherless.com. If that makes me a bad spyderchatter, then I should be booted staight away.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe there are three cars in one form or another that is EV and guess what they don't post here. I kind of wish they would post as we could gain a lot of inspiration on building our own kids if the parts were affordable.
well said, I too wish the same

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
I am tired of my spyder just being a very attractive lawn ornament.
How about swapping a 2zz into it then you can drive it or put a 1zz in and drive it, enjoy it, etc while you are gathering up the motor, controllers, batteries, battery trays, wiring, motor/transmission mounting plate etc.

Why do you have to ditch the power steering? I was under the impression that the P/S pump is powered by electric. Range on a lot of the EV conversion cars is generally less than 100 miles before needing an 8 or so hour recharge. As long as you can find a meet near where you live you should be ok. You could also trailer the car to meets though that isn't as much fun.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about swapping a 2zz into it then you can drive it or put a 1zz in and drive it, enjoy it, etc while you are gathering up the motor, controllers, batteries, battery trays, wiring, motor/transmission mounting plate etc.

Why do you have to ditch the power steering? I was under the impression that the P/S pump is powered by electric. Range on a lot of the EV conversion cars is generally less than 100 miles before needing an 8 or so hour recharge. As long as you can find a meet near where you live you should be ok. You could also trailer the car to meets though that isn't as much fun.
The general idea is to get as far away from using electical components as possible, so P/S is out, don't need it anyway. I like the 1zz or 2zz idea, I gave my buddy Thorch the 1zz and tranny so that he could move away from this god-forsaken place. I would love to put another in there, but this seems more manageable than doing the diesel swap for now. I realize that my range will be limited, however, I have a rather unique idea that will be a gamechanger.

thanks for everyones input,

Nintendo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts