MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I saw a member had added garage door buttons to his dash recently and I thought that was a great idea. I wanted to share what I did to solve the same problem (garage door remote floating about the car).
I bought an auto-dimming rear view mirror at a wrecking yard that came off of an infinity Q35 (homelink version).
I also picked up a harness from a Mazda RX8... similar mirror. They're all pretty much the same thing other than some have compasses and some have backup cameras, etc,

I love not having to flip the dimmer lever on the mirror anymore.

It's a little larger than stock... but, I can see around it just fine. It was easy to wire up and I don't have to worry about my floating (easy to grab) garage door opener any more.

I like the buttons in the dash from the other member... But, this was quick and easy too ;)

PS: You can buy GENTEX mirrors on ebay from $50 to $300 depending on what they come with and whether they're new or used. GENTEX is the major manufacturer of almost all of the Homelink / compass / lighted / auto-dimming mirrors for most vehicles

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it as easy as wiring up power? If so, did you connect to the dome light wire?
It's an auto-dimming mirror with Homlink.

- Full time 12v for the Homlink
- Switched 12v for auto-dimming
- Ground
- Reverse wire to turn of auto dimmer when backing up (I didn't hook that one up)

The plug / harness I got from the RX8 had it's own wire colors so I had to find a pinout for the mirror.
I decided not to tap into the dome and I ran a 3-strand wire down the A-pillar chase to the fuse block. I had a stereo installed right around the same time... so, I had the installer hook-up the power to the mirror based on my schematic.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
did you wire that into the dome light?

some detail here for the wiring challenged would be cool
No, T-bone... I ran a 3 strand wire down to the fuse block area (through the A-Pillar chase).

I needed: Constant 12v, Switched 12v, and Ground (see post #9 - four posts up) :)

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
OK, you have been redeemed. I'm not a fan of the Boxster bars, but you have a lot of skill in the modding department. Good work, mane.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Anyway to list the size of the new morror or hold the original up next to the new one and post a pic?
Here's a pic comparing the original to the new mirror. Keep in mind... Gentex makes a variety of sizes... this one was made for a Q35 and other smaller to mid-sized cars

Here's a few other views of the mirror in place:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
That is one very nicely modded Spyder. Best of luck with it. You've done some pretty sweet mods already. I love the mirror mod with the Homelink. Nice touch!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Very nice touches. I wonder if you have taken pictures when you did this and somewhat put the documentation in the how-to section. A lot of people would benefit from this. I know I will. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.