MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it is not just for swapped Spyders but the SCCA has introduced two new classes for modified street legal cars and one of those classes seems tailor made for those that have engine swapped Spyders that also want to autocross their cars.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I mostly race for raw times but it will make a nice catch all class for swapped cars on street tires so people don't get asked a boatload of questions by the event organisers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've been kind of half-assedly reading up on some rules to figure out where my car fits in... I am definitely interested in trying out some official autocrossing.

1ZZ with CAI, Magnaflow downpipe w/ high flow cat, cat back exhaust, coil overs, phat's mid brace, poly bushings, 17 inch wheels, overdrive pulleys on alternator and water pump...

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
It's too open. An LS3 RX7 or anything with an LS swaps will dominate the class.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Depends on the course layout too. A 2ZZ MR2 should be competitive on tighter courses, with a good driver of course. Of course on a more open layout you will want more power.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are two classes, XSA and XSB. The swapped Spyders will be in B. I do not think you could get enough weight off of an RX-7 with a LS3 to get it in the class with the Spyder.

Minimum Weights (without driver, lbs.)
• Class XS-A AWD: 3000 RWD: 2750 FWD: 2500
• Class XS-B RWD: 2150 FWD: 2000

The 200TW tires will also be an equalizer. You might be able to get a Miata with a V8 in there but I really do not think that 2ZZ and K swapped Spyders will be at a big disadvantage over something like that in the B class. Drag race? Sure (if the Miata could get traction). Autocross? Not so much.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
200 treadwear doesn't mean anything if the tire size open.

A kswap spyder would destroy a 2zz. You can get 50hp more out of a k20 or 24 with the same weight.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do not disagree that the K swap has a big advantage. I was addressing the LS3 RX-7 comment. Swapped Spyders should be strong in the XSB class. You could probably even get a 2GR swapped Spyder in there. I wonder what cyclehead's Spyder weighs?

I actually would not be surprised if the B class was dominated by something like a K swapped CRX.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
This an open class. They allow any power ladder. So boosted cars are going to have huge advantage. Unless you are making 400hp don't even bother. They also allow fender flares. Suspension can be completely changed including pick up points that will allow for some expensive lightweight engineering. The fuel tank can also be changed.

An LS3 RX7 with that type of build will weigh close to 2500lbs if not under.. A stock ls3 rx7 is about 2800lbs.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Unless you are making 400hp don't even bother. They also allow fender flares. Suspension can be completely changed including pick up points that will allow for some expensive lightweight engineering. The fuel tank can also be changed.
I think a Spyder with 300-400 hp, flares, and gigantic tires could be competitive with the right driver and suspension. But you bring up some good points. The part that I think kind of kills it is the lack of restrictions with the suspension modification. There could be some insane suspension on some of these cars. I know some cars already have different knuckles available with modified/multiple pickup points that are game changers. The MR2 does well but the MacPhersons are a big weak point and we have no aftermarket support so it pushes out all those without very deep pockets or an engineering degree and a workshop. That red and white hill climb Spyder comes to mind as a good example of what suspension changes may be seen. The rear suspension on that thing is awesome.

The more we discuss the more I’m thinking I should rethink trying this class haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
With no hp restrictions someone will show up with 500hp+ on huge tires weighing close to minimum weight.

·
Registered
858 Posts
HP is only as useful as the grip you have, on 200TW tires. I'm not saying there won't be faster cars as there is ALWAYS a faster car and a faster driver. But it's a better class PAX wise for a swapped Spyder than SSM was, where you needed slicks at minimum just to be competitive PAX wise with the whole field.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It is a regional class only; not national so I don't know if you will see the big money guys focus on a class that they can only run at that level. I need to re-read the rules. I thought there were restrictions on changing suspension mounting points.

EDIT: Yeah, you are right. With that rule set there are going to be some real
Frankenstein builds show up in the guise of street legal cars. However, what is street legal in rural Georgia is a far cry from what is street legal in California. I think they kind of blew it by being totally lenient about things like suspension, fuel cells, etc but when you start allowing mods, it becomes difficult as to where to draw the line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts