MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder 1zz 5mt
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!
Yesterday I finally was able to pick up a spyder, albeit a non runner at a bargain price.
Would not turn over on the starter, so I figured it would be either be starter / cable related or worst case a seized engine.
It's a 2001 with a stock 1zz

As soon as I was able to, I started troubleshooting and stumbled upon a weird issue right away.
I removed the spark plugs to get rid of compression, put the car in gear and pushed it to see if the engine would turn.
When pushed forward, it's like trying to move a brick wall, dead stuck.
However, pushing the car backwards will rotate the engine backwards with ease.

No matter how far i push it backwards, it right away won't move an inch forward.
So that tells me it shouldn't be the engine that's not able to rotate forward.

I have not yet been able to try and rotate the crank by hand from the pulley, to see if it will rotate when in neutral.
This due to no daylight left and I don't have any tools that reaches the crank pulley.
Anyone know from the top of their head the socket that fits the crank pulley bolt?

What could prevent the driveline from rolling forward in gear but still allow it to roll backwards?
Could a stuck starter cause this? I would imagine that the starter cog would be able to freespin with the flywheel, if stuck out.
Blown gearbox? Shifts fine, and the issue is present in every gear. Car rolls without any resistance in neutral.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.
Cheers from Sweden 馃コ

Registered
Sounds like it rolls both ways in neutral but only backwards in any gear.

what about with it in gear and the clutch pedal pushed in? If it pushes freely both ways then it's something on the engine side of the clutch. If it doesn't then it's gearbox related.

Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder 1zz 5mt
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it rolls both ways in neutral but only backwards in any gear.

what about with it in gear and the clutch pedal pushed in? If it pushes freely both ways then it's something on the engine side of the clutch. If it doesn't then it's gearbox related.
Good thinking!
Will have a go as soon as I get home.
What I do know is that the starter will not turn the engine, no mattet if you鈥檙e in neutral or gear and clutch pedal pressed

cheers

Registered
It always bothered me that the flywheel and gear are visable on the bottom of the engine. Looked but couldn't find any bolt holes for a cover that I might be missing. Anyway, could something be wedged in there and act like a ratchet allowing motion in one direction only? Probably a long shot, but it would be an easy fix

Registered
It always bothered me that the flywheel and gear are visable on the bottom of the engine. Looked but couldn't find any bolt holes for a cover that I might be missing. Anyway, could something be wedged in there and act like a ratchet allowing motion in one direction only? Probably a long shot, but it would be an easy fix
Excllent thought. The one thing that can lodge into the flywheel and act as a ratchet is the starter pinion.

Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder 1zz 5mt
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Could still be gearbox related or an exploded clutch wedging it. He needs to try my test.
There! Clutch test performed.
Car rolls fine in gear with clutch pressed.

So:
Wheels drive gearbox = no issue
Gearbox drive clutch disc = no issue
Clutch disc drives flywheel = stuck while rolling forward.

So that could only be the starter cog caught in the flywheel gears by my calculations.. :rolleyes:
Can't think of anything else that would still allow the pistons to turn backwards. Never stumbled upon it happening or heard of it though.

So will remove the starter as soon as I get the chance.
Have watched a couple of "how to's" and know that one of the bolts is on the bellhouse side.
And it looks like I get the starter out from under the car, right?

Best regards: My back, as I sadly don't have a lift :cry:

Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder 1zz 5mt
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My friend Ole lives in your town. Of course there are a lot of Ole's. He is a maths professor at University. Maybe you know him. You Swedes have all the fun.
fun to hear you have swedish mates!
Sadly Gothenburg is quite big and I actually dont know a single Ole 馃槄

But tell him hi anyways 馃槈

Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
Curious to know what the issue is here.
The starter does have a one way clutch, but this clutch allows the engine to spin faster than the starter. So with a jammed starter you would expect the opposite of your situation (locking up when rolling backwards). The starter has a weak nylon ring gear, which could have failed. I have also seen starters with a failed clutch. So it does not hurt to check the starter.
The starter is very simple to remove, I would start there. And indeed check if anything got into the bell housing.

Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder 1zz 5mt
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Curious to know what the issue is here.
The starter does have a one way clutch, but this clutch allows the engine to spin faster than the starter. So with a jammed starter you would expect the opposite of your situation (locking up when rolling backwards). The starter has a weak nylon ring gear, which could have failed. I have also seen starters with a failed clutch. So it does not hurt to check the starter.
The starter is very simple to remove, I would start there. And indeed check if anything got into the bell housing.
yeah exactly, Thats more what I would expect as well.

will let you guys know as soon as I tear it down

Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder 1zz 5mt
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It鈥檚 running boys! (And girls if there are any here)

The culprit you ask?

well, the most stuck alternator I鈥檝e ever stumbled upon, and one tight ass serpentine belt and tensioner if I鈥檝e ever seen one 馃槀

So, turning the engine backwards unloaded the tensioner, and allowed the crank pulley to spin inside the belt. Turning it forwards tightened it and locked everything up.

With the belt gone, she fired right up after 1-2 years standstill without hesitating and now feels like a bargain again 馃槏

So, any tips for replacing the alternator? Seemed like a tight squeeze.. also while under there I Noticed this connectior hanging off the alternator and I cant seem to find where it鈥檚 supposed to hook up? 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive wheel system

1 - 20 of 28 Posts