MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
That's the connector for the air conditioner compressor clutch control and speed sensor. It can be left unplugged if the AC was deleted or if you want the AC disabled because of a stuck compressor or similar.

Changing the alternator is not easy but it is possible in-car. Removing the breather pipe from the back of the head and bending it out of the way (it connects to a short rubber hose at the bottom) and removing the engine mount will give you more room to work.

Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder 1zz 5mt
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In this video I start out showing and discussing the "blind" bolt. If you are a new Spyder owner, you owe it to yourself to subscribe to my Youtube series "MR2 Spyder for Dummies."
just realized I remember seeing you had a video for the alternator aswell.

so that came in handy now I guess 馃槄
Will any 1zz alternator work?

Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
Will any 1zz alternator work?
No, there are different alternators on some of the 1ZZ-FE, 3ZZ-FE and 4ZZ-FE cars. The Avensis and Auris alternators have a 4 pins connector and do not fit.
I think most of the E120 Corolla's and all ZZT23x Celica's have the same alternator as the MR-2.
Just check if it has the 3-pin plug.

If you have the equipment, you can also disassemble and check the condition of the current alternator.
Bearings are easily available in case they are seized.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts