MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realized that once I did my research on the car. I honestly didn't know about it as I'm not really a car guy (until now I guess). I just needed a car and my roommates coworker sold it to me cheap lol. It is a bit of a fixer upper. The seats are shot and the back glass has been replaced (sloppily). And I guess he left the top down one night and it rained so he had to rip all the carpet out. Oh and the parking brake cable needs replaced, can't forget about that gem lol

·
Registered
782 Posts
Congrats. I would start with fluids and work from there. I doubt the convertible glass was replaced, more likely as the top ages, the sheer weight of the glass and deterioration of the material results in the glass tearing away. That’s an item on the bucket list…

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Excellent price, even if it doesn’t run! Back glass is fairly common, they come loose at the glued seam. I re glued mine fairly neatly. You can reupholster the seats with new leather. Kits are available. Carpet can also be replaced, though some weight conscious guys remove theirs. Stock wheels are cheap if you can find a local donor. Or Miata wheels will fit. Parking brake cables are an irritation to replace.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Heck yeah that was a great deal! You'll get there just be persistent! I paid $900 for mine and it had 4 flats, a blown motor, and a giant rip in the top and 4 inches of water on the floor so you did well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said it's been sitting under a carport for about 4 years. The 2 front tires were dry rotted but the suspension seems to still have some life in it. I haven't checked the precats yet as I just found out about them recently, but there's no white or black smoke and the low oil level I'm contributing to the bad valve cover gasket for now. I'm on a McDonald's manager budget so I probably won't be making it into a show car or track car yet lol does anyone know where I can get some replacement carpet? Also the center console is cracking around the e-brake, is there anywhere I can buy a replacement?

·
Registered
8 Posts
He said it's been sitting under a carport for about 4 years. The 2 front tires were dry rotted but the suspension seems to still have some life in it. I haven't checked the precats yet as I just found out about them recently, but there's no white or black smoke and the low oil level I'm contributing to the bad valve cover gasket for now. I'm on a McDonald's manager budget so I probably won't be making it into a show car or track car yet lol does anyone know where I can get some replacement carpet? Also the center console is cracking around the e-brake, is there anywhere I can buy a replacement?
MR2 heaven or some people on facebook marketplace may have used floor mat.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Damn. $700 is scrap money…! Hard to even find a Spyder with a completely blown engine for that cheap.

If you zoom in on the picture it looks like something atypical is going on with the back glass. No evidence of cracking or tearing at the top of the glass where it would normally start to fall in, and the window itself looks really odd. It does actually look like it was replaced or something. Overall top looks amazing which is puzzling as well, no identifiable holes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are your plans for it?
Well the reason I got it was I needed a car and this one was available and cheap. Now that I have it I think I love it lol. So once I get it running decently and looking decent it'll be my daily driver. I'm on a pretty thin budget so I won't be doing any performance mods or anything just yet but I probably will eventually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn. $700 is scrap money…! Hard to even find a Spyder with a completely blown engine for that cheap.

If you zoom in on the picture it looks like something atypical is going on with the back glass. No evidence of cracking or tearing at the top of the glass where it would normally start to fall in, and the window itself looks really odd. It does actually look like it was replaced or something. Overall top looks amazing which is puzzling as well, no identifiable holes.
I'm not sure if the glass was replaced or if it fell in and was just reglued in but there's visibly a line of glue across the bottom and up the right side. So far there's no leaks. The top is in great shape aside from being a little dirty and a little stiff but I can probably lube up the joints so it folds more smoothly right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts