MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 Spyder finally needs new tires! When I originally got my Spyder it needed all 4 new tires. Unfortunately I had spent all my budget on the actual car and had forgotten about the tire need, so I just chose the cheapest tires I could find. I have been patiently waiting for these tires to deteriorate so I can buy some new ones, and the time has come. I have done all I want to on my Spyder with a 2zz, and C60 swap, so I'm not looking at changing rims. What would be the best tires for my stock rims? I do have koni yellow inserts that lower the car about 30 mm. I'm looking for tires that although make for good handling, can also have good traction in the rain too. I'm also only looking for all season tires right now. What brands should I be looking into?

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I run Kumho PA31 for winter tires. I have been able to get the rear out in wet or snow without much effort. I am happy with normal dry driving in the cold with the PA31 but don't push very hard. I enjoy dunlop direzza zii in summer.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I run Kumho PA31 for winter tires. I have been able to get the rear out in wet or snow without much effort. I am happy with normal dry driving in the cold with the PA31 but don't push very hard. I enjoy dunlop direzza zii in summer.
Same here. PA31 in 185/55 - 205/50 and ZII in 195/55 - 225/45. These both put the speedometer dead on with the 03-05 wheels. Not sure if this works with the 02 wheels.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I run 15" wheels on my 2001 using OEM sizes except the ZII front is 195. I matched the speedo needle to a Snap-On ODBII tool at 60 mph after I put a new gauge face on. If the ECU is accurate so is the speedo needle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I run 15" wheels on my 2001 using OEM sizes except the ZII front is 195. I matched the speedo needle to a Snap-On ODBII tool at 60 mph after I put a new gauge face on. If the ECU is accurate so is the speedo needle.
Can you explain this a little more in depth?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions? Any thoughts on all season tires though? I'm only planning on buying one set.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Can you explain this a little more in depth?
What would you like me to explain? The Snap On tool is the Modis. I had to pull all the needles to change the gauge face. On the lift I ran the car at 60mph on the tool reading the ECU and matched the needle on the speedo.

I run 185/55 front 205/50 back in winter 15". 195/50 front and 205/50 rear summer 15". I have two sets of staggered wheels and keep the tires mounted. Summer are 1/2 inch wider, winter OEM width.

OP, Kumho PA31 is an all season tire. OK but I much prefer the ZII tires in the summer. Tirerack is good for research, I also purchase from them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What would you like me to explain? The Snap On tool is the Modis. I had to pull all the needles to change the gauge face. On the lift I ran the car at 60mph on the tool reading the ECU and matched the needle on the speedo.

I run 185/55 front 205/50 back in winter 15". 195/50 front and 205/50 rear summer 15". I have two sets of staggered wheels and keep the tires mounted. Summer are 1/2 inch wider, winter OEM width.

OP, Kumho PA31 is an all season tire. OK but I much prefer the ZII tires in the summer. Tirerack is good for research, I also purchase from them.
Thank you. I appreciate the clarification.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I run Bridgestone RE71R 265x35zx18 on the rear and 215x35x18 front. I don't think they will work on your application and bad in rain and snow. We don't really have winter in Newport Beach CA.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just started looking for stock tires on '05...
Original tires still are good at 10k miles, but at the age of 13, it's time to pull them IMO. ( no cracks, can't find anything wrong, just old and I know the rubber tends to dry out )

I can get the proper sizes, but not original Bridgestone Potenzas , AND having trouble with front /rears in same matching brand.

Any ideas, and max sizes that fit a stock '05?... and still retain proper tire diameters ratios of originals
Mostly summer usage and never wet

edit;
thinking these may work;

tires.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there a reason why the S Drives are not mentioned? I understand the OP is looking for "all seasons" but I think that the S. Drives would fit the bill, you can get both in the OEM sizes (185/55 and 205/50 15s) Tire Rack reviews are pretty good also for both dry and wet traction.

I haven't ran these tires so I can't comment on them personally but I haven't heard bad things about them either.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=S.drive&frontTire=855VR5S&rearTire=05VR5S&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2002&autoModel=MR2%20Spyder&autoModClar=#testResults

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Is there a reason why the S Drives are not mentioned? I understand the OP is looking for "all seasons" but I think that the S. Drives would fit the bill, you can get both in the OEM sizes (185/55 and 205/50 15s) Tire Rack reviews are pretty good also for both dry and wet traction.

I haven't ran these tires so I can't comment on them personally but I haven't heard bad things about them either.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=S.drive&frontTire=855VR5S&rearTire=05VR5S&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2002&autoModel=MR2 Spyder&autoModClar=#testResults
S. Drives in stock sizes are probably the best tire for this car for the street. All seasons suck on this car because they are unstable for any performance driving and ultra high performance are not fun on the street because it gets boring with having too much grip that you need to drive at reckless speeds to have fun with them and if you mess up its hard to recover. The S. Drives have a very nice feel to them from the many Spyders I have driven. Very progressive. They remind of the stock Yokohama tires that the car came with which also had a nice feel to them giving you fun drive at reasonable speeds.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Morning DeerMatt:

I put new rims and S-Drives on my Spyder. The tires work very well during the warm months. But I would not recommend them for the cold months (I switch over to Blizzacks).

Paul

P.S. If you do a search, you can find lots of info on tires. From my recollection, the only all seasons tires that were rated highly, were very expensive.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just started looking for stock tires on '05...
Original tires still are good at 10k miles, but at the age of 13, it's time to pull them IMO. ( no cracks, can't find anything wrong, just old and I know the rubber tends to dry out )

I can get the proper sizes, but not original Bridgestone Potenzas , AND having trouble with front /rears in same matching brand.

Any ideas, and max sizes that fit a stock '05?... and still retain proper tire diameters ratios of originals
Mostly summer usage and never wet

edit;
thinking these may work;

View attachment 68249
while the sizes you note are just slightly shorter than OE, i have the same BFGs in 195/55R15 front & 205/50R16 rear which is just slightly taller than OE (while retaining approximately the same F/R ratio). the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 are great tires in my experience thus far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a reader rather than a writer but I'll chime in here for whatever it's worth. I've been driving an '05 for about 9 years and because of one unsatisfactory thing or another have bought different tires every change, this last summer it was a full set of S-Drives (on factory rims). This car is what I'd consider my daily driver but I live in Southern California so I haven't driven it in snow, sleet/ice but I can speak to wet performance anyway. I haven't determined their absolute limits but my driving is probably a little more "aggressive" than average & (IMHO) I'd have to say they've been very acceptable so far. I think Mr2's are probably as docile as any mid or rear engined car will ever be, but I also think most drivers new to this configuration are unfamiliar with the meaning of terminal oversteer and discovering the limits of wet traction by accident is much less likely to end pretty than in what they are used to driving as well. There is a pretty good 4 lane asphalt canyon road close by with mostly flat corners and a few moderate grades that has proven to be a good place to evaluate tire performance and since we had heavy rain & near freezing nite-time temps earlier this month, I took a few progressively harder runs at it until the car was consistently breaking loose (rear wheels of course) at the same speed on any given corner. On only one occasion did it start stepping out at a lower than anticipated speed (proving wisdom in progression) but all things considered (dry traction, stability during extreme cornering, predictability over rough, uneven and/or changing surface materials, size availability, price, noise level, wear to date and ride quality/comfort), I doubt there is anything else out there that offers a substantially better compromise so I'm likely to buy another set.

·
Registered
939 Posts
S. Drives in stock sizes are probably the best tire for this car for the street. All seasons suck on this car because they are unstable for any performance driving and ultra high performance are not fun on the street because it gets boring with having too much grip that you need to drive at reckless speeds to have fun with them and if you mess up its hard to recover. The S. Drives have a very nice feel to them from the many Spyders I have driven. Very progressive. They remind of the stock Yokohama tires that the car came with which also had a nice feel to them giving you fun drive at reasonable speeds.
they don't make the S drives in a 16 inch for the rear in the original size

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
You are right. As an alternative you can use 215/40/16 in place of 215/45/16. It will be a little more low profile but for practicality it works just fine.
I know an owner that ran these sizes with no adverse effects and when I did test drive the car it was very well balanced especially the turn in. Also according to the calculator its just a little off.

Someone made a post pointing a new replacement for the S.drives. Hopefully they will be as good but often times when a manufacture has a replacement it can turn out to be a dud.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I don't think that you can get any tires as a set in the OE sizes for the late models. However, 225/45/16 and 205/50/16 will put the speedo dead on, and are available in appropriate sets.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
19 Participants
beachbum
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing