MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
..I can get the proper sizes, but not original Bridgestone Potenzas , AND having trouble with front /rears in same matching brand.

Any ideas, and max sizes that fit a stock '05?... and still retain proper tire diameters ratios of originals
You really want to match tire models front and rear. Mixing tires is a real crapshoot, and you can get very unpleasant surprises in handling. This is more important than getting the exact OE sizes. Try to find something that is close enough.

For extreme summer tires, 195/55/15 - 225/45/16 are available in Dunlop and Toyo, fit easily, and put the speedometer right on. There are a number of options with 185/55/15 - 205/50/16, and they have the same rear diameter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've decided to go with a summer set and winter set, ahh.... I don't track this car, I just have fun on the streets, so what I'm hearing is
Summer: S-drives
Winter: PA-31's
I try to never drive it in the rain, summer or winter, but if I happen to get caught in some I want to still be confident driving the car home. I will never take this car out in snow, but I do take it out in the winter when it's colder.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
If doing a summer set and a winter set, I would get something better than S-drives for summer tires. I'd go with something with a stiffer sidewall that's actually a summer tire.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If doing a summer set and a winter set, I would get something better than S-drives for summer tires. I'd go with something with a stiffer sidewall that's actually a summer tire.
What would you recommend? Toyo's? Dunlop?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I run Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 on my car and for the cost, they are very good traction wise.

I believe Lostpilot28 runs them on his car for Autocross, so he may be able to shed more light on durability.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
What would you recommend? Toyo's? Dunlop?

I'm kinda leary of giving tire advice at times, as I'm in the square setup crowd and in the summer I usually run tires in the 200tw area. But, here's my opinions and what I would do.

I've ran PS31s and PA31s in 205/50R15 on my spyders and honestly the S-Drives that Drummerdawg had on his spyder, although they were a lower profile 17, had just as much sidewall flex as the PA31s, and grip didn't feel like much, if anymore than a PS31 in my opinion. From my experience the S-drive and the PA31 aren't very far apart on the tire scale and isn't worth having both.

If I was going to spend the money on 2 sets of tires, I would get something in the 'extreme performance summer' category, or even look at the Continental extreme contact sports. I'm running them on my BRZ and have been highly impressed with the wet weather as well as dry traction.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
When I put the Dunlop ZIIs on my car, I discovered that they had more traction in the wet than I would have expected from all-seasons under the best of conditions. It was like teleporting to a different universe. It took me three tries to get up to braking that was aggressive enough to trigger the ABS.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
A good number of high performance tires have better wet traction than all seasons. However there are some high performance tires that give you great wet traction initially but once they wear down a little it can have a sharp drop off from new.
All seasons don't really excel in any category but at least they can at a minimum get you home in light snow.

Having said that I drive slow and cautiously when it rains and mindful of traction when taking sharp corners.
The problem I have seen here are those that drive this car as they would a normal car in bad weather which lands them in trouble especially on exit ramps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
When I put the Dunlop ZIIs on my car, I discovered that they had more traction in the wet than I would have expected from all-seasons under the best of conditions. It was like teleporting to a different universe. It took me three tries to get up to braking that was aggressive enough to trigger the ABS.
A good number of high performance tires have better wet traction than all seasons. However there are some high performance tires that give you great wet traction initially but once they wear down a little it can have a sharp drop off from new.
All seasons don't really excel in any category but at least they can at a minimum get you home in light snow.

Having said that I drive slow and cautiously when it rains and mindful of traction when taking sharp corners.
The problem I have seen here are those that drive this car as they would a normal car in bad weather which lands them in trouble especially on exit ramps.
I only ever drive spirited when it's perfect weather. I've been looking into the Toyo Proxes R1R, anyone tried those?

Edit: I just realized they have the rear tires but the closest they have to the front stock tire size is 195/55/ R15 :(

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
I only ever drive spirited when it's perfect weather. I've been looking into the Toyo Proxes R1R, anyone tried those?

There are many hidden truths to tires especially if you choose the wrong ones. Some extreme performance tires can get easily heat cycled out and are only good for racing where they are expended well before the tread life. Not a good value in my opinion.

Tire selection is a personal thing with many different opinions. I have had some duds that didn't agree with me like a set of Goodyears that were highly rated by Tirerack reviews but I hated them because they had so much sidewall flex I couldn't feel the road. Later on I came to know they gained the nickname novocaines by the Autox community.

My best advise is to never buy new model tires. Let them get kicked around and reviewed for at least a year or two. If they gain widespread reputation and following like the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 or the S.drives there is a good chance you might like them.

Im somewhat happy with my Falken extreme performance tires but they have so much grip for the street that its hard to shake them loose that it feels like normal driving but at much higher speeds, which lacks a bit a thrill that I would have at lower speeds. I don't need that much traction but some people think more is better but thats is not always the case. I strongly believe you should match your tires with your suspension to keep a certain amount of synergy where it feels right.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There are many hidden truths to tires especially if you choose the wrong ones. Some extreme performance tires can get easily heat cycled out and are only good for racing where they are expended well before the tread life. Not a good value in my opinion.

Tire selection is a personal thing with many different opinions. I have had some duds that didn't agree with me like a set of Goodyears that were highly rated by Tirerack reviews but I hated them because they had so much sidewall flex I couldn't feel the road. Later on I came to know they gained the nickname novocaines by the Autox community.

My best advise is to never buy new model tires. Let them get kicked around and reviewed for at least a year or two. If they gain widespread reputation and following like the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 or the S.drives there is a good chance you might like them.

Im somewhat happy with my Falken extreme performance tires but they have so much grip for the street that its hard to shake them loose that it feels like normal driving but at much higher speeds, which lacks a bit a thrill that I would have at lower speeds. I don't need that much traction but some people think more is better but thats is not always the case. I strongly believe you should match your tires with your suspension to keep a certain amount of synergy where it feels right.
I'm seeming to like the performance for money that the ZII have. Unfortunately it's 195 width instead of my stock 185. I know the speedo would be a bit off but would this work relatively on stock rims, and a 30mm lowering job?

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
I'm seeming to like the performance for money that the ZII have. Unfortunately it's 195 width instead of my stock 185. I know the speedo would be a bit off but would this work relatively on stock rims, and a 30mm lowering job?

The 195 tire size is a good substitute for the 185s. You should be fine even if lowered by a lot.
Dunlop makes a good tire but someone reported soft sidewalls and although it might not be the case I didn't want to take the risk and find out.
I like a harder sidewalls and apparently the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 has that reputation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The 195 tire size is a good substitute for the 185s. You should be fine even if lowered by a lot.
Dunlop makes a good tire but someone reported soft sidewalls and although it might not be the case I didn't want to take the risk and find out.
I like a harder sidewalls and apparently the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 has that reputation.
I looked into the Firehawk but saw that they didn't have as good wet traction as some of the competition, I will see if I can find a side by side comparison of the Firehawk and ZII and rethink.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
I looked into the Firehawk but saw that they didn't have as good wet traction as some of the competition, I will see if I can find a side by side comparison of the Firehawk and ZII and rethink.

Contact Rcntype. He loves them.
Apparently they are a Bridgestone model that is sold in Europe and has a great reputation for value and performance.
No they will not have max grip or any metric that might exceed other tires in all areas but a lot of times that is not what makes a tire have a great reputation for a good ride.

I need new tires myself and after reading about how nice the Firehawks are I badly want them but unfortunately they don't have my size.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Apparently they are a Bridgestone model that is sold in Europe and has a great reputation for value and performance.
No they will not have max grip or any metric that might exceed other tires in all areas but a lot of times that is not what makes a tire have a great reputation for a good ride.

I need new tires myself and after reading about how nice the Firehawks are I badly want them but unfortunately they don't have my size.
Just sent him a PM, thanks.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts

From my research, I came to the same conclusion about them being re-branded Bridgestones. I was going to get a set for my BRZ, but they run a bit narrow in the size (265/35r18) I was going with and didn't want the stretched look since I have 9.5" wide wheels on that car.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
From my research, I came to the same conclusion about them being re-branded Bridgestones. I was going to get a set for my BRZ, but they run a bit narrow in the size (265/35r18) I was going with and didn't want the stretched look since I have 9.5" wide wheels on that car.

The tread design looks like the old Bridgestone poll positions but I bet the compound is evolved. The Bridgestone poll positions were some of the best tires from back in the day. I had a set on a different car and they had nice stiff sidewalls where you felt everything and they also had a technology where they kept near the same level of grip as they wear.

Even the stock Yokohoma and Bridgstones had a great sidewall but somewhere around 2006 manufactures started making soft sidewall tires probably to accommodate comfort for plus size tires that were showing up on most factory cars as wheels got bigger.
Now it appears that stiff sidewalls tires are unicorns for those that run smaller wheels.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Dunlop ZII are good tires. I ran them 195 and 205 rear. If you put less than 10k miles a year on your Spyder go for it. You're going to have a hard time finding them in sizes now that the ZIII's are out.

I currently run a square 205 ZIII setup right now. Odd as it seems, these tires have more grip the colder they are. Steering is a bit heavier.

I also ran 185/195 S.Drives when I originally had the car. For all the handling 185 gives you in the front, I don't like the under-steer.

ZIII's are also the noisiest tires I've ever been on btw.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So, I ordered the Yoko S drive tires... summer use so not a cold issue.

But just thinking, what size are the valve stems ??? Couldn't find a size, thinking they may be TR413 ?? maybe 14mm hole ??
But won't know for sure till I pull them and wanted to pre-buy
( I do my own tire changes on a manual No-Mar changer , same as my bikes )

Anyone with aluminum stem recommendations ?

TIA

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
19 Participants
beachbum
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing