MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
So, I ordered the Yoko S drive tires... summer use so not a cold issue.

But just thinking, what size are the valve stems ??? Couldn't find a size, thinking they may be TR413 ?? maybe 14mm hole ??
But won't know for sure till I pull them and wanted to pre-buy
( I do my own tire changes on a manual No-Mar changer , same as my bikes )

Anyone with aluminum stem recommendations ?

TIA
Stock wheels and about every car wheel manufactured will take a TR413 stem as that's the standard. I like regular rubber stems as they're less likely to corrode or leak.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Just replied to your pm and just saw this thread.

I've been on vacation for the pass 2 weeks and its great coming back here to see the usual names giving great advice like always (at least imo).

I agree with mostly everything already said and i'm sure we can all agree that tire choice is a very personal decision. There's so many shades of grey here that its hard to narrow it down especially when you haven't gotten a feel for the car yet or your own personal driving style.

The really important thing for me is the goal of what you want the tire to do. A key factor is how much grip do you want/can your car handle/can your abilities handle? Then I think you should cross reference that with how often you'll NEED that grip level. Lastly narrow it down to how much you're willing to spend for all of that. Oh also throw size into the mix and it should be pretty easy what you'll zone in on. Then when those wear out try the second choice or another choice that wasn't available before. After all of this you'll realize the Firehawk 500's are the best damn tire for the money for the spyder at this moment. :D:D:D

Happy zooming around!

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Just replied to your pm and just saw this thread.

I've been on vacation for the pass 2 weeks and its great coming back here to see the usual names giving great advice like always (at least imo).

I agree with mostly everything already said and i'm sure we can all agree that tire choice is a very personal decision. There's so many shades of grey here that its hard to narrow it down especially when you haven't gotten a feel for the car yet or your own personal driving style.

The really important thing for me is the goal of what you want the tire to do. A key factor is how much grip do you want/can your car handle/can your abilities handle? Then I think you should cross reference that with how often you'll NEED that grip level. Lastly narrow it down to how much you're willing to spend for all of that. Oh also throw size into the mix and it should be pretty easy what you'll zone in on. Then when those wear out try the second choice or another choice that wasn't available before. After all of this you'll realize the Firehawk 500's are the best damn tire for the money for the spyder at this moment. :D:D:D

Happy zooming around!
Well written and you convinced me. They actually do have my sizes but I was a little hesitant of going from a 40 series to a 45 series. It shouldn't make that much of a difference and it might actually be better having a little more sidewall. Having less compliance with the Firehawks will be what im after. Bridgestone makes a premium tires.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Well written and you convinced me. They actually do have my sizes but I was a little hesitant of going from a 40 series to a 45 series. It shouldn't make that much of a difference and it might actually be better having a little more sidewall. Having less compliance with the Firehawks will be what im after. Bridgestone makes a premium tires.
You won't be disappointed, they were a step up from the Nitto's that came on my car, had the sizes I needed, and were reasonably priced.

:icon_mrgreen:

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
You won't be disappointed, they were a step up from the Nitto's that came on my car, had the sizes I needed, and were reasonably priced.

:icon_mrgreen:
Looking forward to it. Thanks for your endorsement as well. :D
If anyones gets stuck with making a poor decision with tires its like doing jail time.
What I mean by that is its very difficult to return tires just because they suck for your needs.
Also watch out for that Tirerack review trap as well as most people double down on bad decisions or have no standard of comparison.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Looking forward to it. Thanks for your endorsement as well. :D
If anyones gets stuck with making a poor decision with tires its like doing jail time.
What I mean by that is its very difficult to return tires just because they suck for your needs.
Also watch out for that Tirerack review trap as well as most people double down on bad decisions or have no standard of comparison.
I almost fell into the online review trap, but after reading lots of reviews, I then called around to the various local tire shops and went to look at the actual tires, and that helped a lot when making the decision.

These are awesome summer tires and stick like crazy on dry pavement. :)

But since I don't daily drive my Spyder, I can't really comment on how well they wear or work in sloppy conditions.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
I almost fell into the online review trap, but after reading lots of reviews, I then called around to the various local tire shops and went to look at the actual tires, and that helped a lot when making the decision.

These are awesome summer tires and stick like crazy on dry pavement. :)

But since I don't daily drive my Spyder, I can't really comment on how well they wear or work in sloppy conditions.
Bridgestone is a top shelf tire company and rarely lets anyone down. I don't discount reviews all together but what I tend to do is look for similar observations good or bad. Often times you can find the idiots on Amazon that don't know what they are buying as well as the company bots that hype the product.

Having said that it has now been alleged that over 50% of Facebook users are fake accounts. The other 50% are soy boys. :color_:

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I got stuck with buying a 50 series version when the 45 for my size weren't available and deadline for an hpde came. Tires were still great! Do fret the small difference.

Now I'm thinking about moving up into these nankangs I've been reading about. Nankangs, can you believe it? Lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
About to pull the trigger on these.

View attachment 68333
I run 17 inch rims with 205/40's and as long as the cowl is intact, it is fine with no rubbing, and it is a nice look for the car.
My girl friends MR2 is 18 inch rim with I think 190/45.. I think they look great. It does affect the weight distribution of the car versus the old tires. 185/55-15 tires on the front and 205/50-15 tires on the rear. Later MR2 have 215/45-16 rear tires.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
I got stuck with buying a 50 series version when the 45 for my size weren't available and deadline for an hpde came. Tires were still great! Do fret the small difference.

Now I'm thinking about moving up into these nankangs I've been reading about. Nankangs, can you believe it? Lol
There will always be hype surrounding bottom shelf tires because of the cost. Im not saying the Nankangs are not value but I have been fooled before with the hype surrounded by Hankook and Kumo. I remember back in the day Nito tires were all the rage for their traction but it turns out thats all they were good for and would not be very progressive in feel, drag racers loved them.
I think the reason why these Bridgestone tires were relabeled Firestones is to bring up the Firestone brand which they own.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
About to pull the trigger on these.

View attachment 68333
If you could do a 16/17 wheel combo it would look so much better. 17 all around without a body kit looks like a roller skate or wagon.
My 17s the the rear looks exaggerated and a bit cartoonish for this small car, the only thing saving it is the 16s in the front.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I disagree with the roller skate assertion, but to each his own.

Here are the wheels on the car without any suspension modification. It's going to the suspension shop today for coil overs and links and poly bushings, among a list of other things.

spyder2.jpg
spyder1.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Finally getting new tires for my Spyder, I went into Discount Tires today and we found out that the S drives which I was planning on getting are discontinued and they couldn't find any anywhere else. I did some digging and came across the Yokohama ADVAN FLEVA V701 which are the successor to the S drives. They are in my price range and look to be what I want for my car, mostly summer performance but also can get me around town if need be in winter safely. They are also in my price range at just above $100. The problem is their so new that there are hardly any reviews on them. Has anyone tried them out? If their good, what size do you recommend me get? I have a 2002 Spyder and I want to keep the OEM rims. Can I push the rear wheels to 215 width?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Finally getting new tires for my Spyder, I went into Discount Tires today and we found out that the S drives which I was planning on getting are discontinued and they couldn't find any anywhere else. I did some digging and came across the Yokohama ADVAN FLEVA V701 which are the successor to the S drives. They are in my price range and look to be what I want for my car, mostly summer performance but also can get me around town if need be in winter safely. They are also in my price range at just above $100. The problem is their so new that there are hardly any reviews on them. Has anyone tried them out? If their good, what size do you recommend me get? I have a 2002 Spyder and I want to keep the OEM rims. Can I push the rear wheels to 215 width?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
One test report:

This is a summer tire, it would not get me around town below 40 degrees.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
These tires just came out in the US in 2019, so the review on Tire Rack is highly suspect. They claimed they had the first set 5 years, but the 701 didn't even exist 5 years ago.

However, they have been out in Europe and other countries since 2016, and the reviews have been mostly middle of the road compared to other summer performance tires, which is about the same as the S-Drives they replace.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-Fleva-V701.htm

The problem of course is the very limited options in any brand in sizes for Spyders, particularly 2003+ and many of the tires available in Europe aren't even sold in the North America. For the 2003+, it is a shame Yokohama chose not to import the 215/45-16 size which is available in other markets.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
19 Participants
beachbum
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing