MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, after perusing around the site and finding some great information and advice, I decided to register! I have been in love with MR2's since I was old enough to care about cars (I am 26 now) and have especially liked the Spyder since they were first off the production line over a decade ago.

Currently, I am in the Caribbean (St. Kitts) for veterinary school and have a little over a year and a half remaining until I graduate and come back home (Southern California) for good to practice (I hope my name doesn't jinx it, : - O ). In preparation for our last year in the states for clinical year, my wife and I have just purchased a 2003 MR2 (black) 6-speed SMT with about 126k on the speedometer (but at a great price). I was a bit overjoyed to finally have the car I've wanted since middle school. Right now it has nothing done to it besides some rims (sorry, unsure of the make, will be replacing down the road), but hopefully will have some TRD toys in the mail for it soon, awaiting my arrival to install.

We had a minor hiccup with the car about 2 - 3 weeks ago when we were barreled off the road by a new Lexus SUV. We had to replace the steering wheel squib which fixed most of the issues, but definitely hope we have no further problems (gearbox, SMT, etc.) down the (nearer) road.

Other than that, this car is amazing and I can't wait to start modifying it!

Some MR-S parts I am hoping to find:

Any braces, sway bars, suspension options (TRD including Sportivo/Corky's preferred)
Any fixes to the stock wiring/functionality/body/etc. you guys might be able to recommend
Possibly a hard top down the road
New rims, eventually

I am not too apt to squeeze out any more power from the 1ZZW30 yet, but may later on. I like the MPG's and practicality level the car offers currently. I like the styling too much to really want to change that, as well.

My other vehicles:

1989 Suzuki Samurai (my DD here on the island while at school)
2004 Ford Ranger (full cage, long travel, 3-linked, etc.)
2010 Toyota Matrix (bought for the wife . . . but I love it too)

Thanks for welcoming me to your community; I look forward to being a part of it and hope I may be of some benefit here!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welcome, glad to see you and your wife were ok after your accident.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Gotta love that black color!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What he said. ^

Welcome! If you're looking for bracing, so a quick search for "Corky" on here. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I will run a search; thanks for the tip.

That is not me in the driver's seat (above), but it is my wife taking a ride with the gentleman we bought it from, haha. Already obsessed with this car!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have seen 1000 pictures of black spyders, post some of the wife ;) ok do not do that

I do not have a lot of knowledge about SMT's so I would make sure to read about them. I hear they can be more than a handful.

Welcome the community, and enjoy the car, make sure you take pictures of all your mods.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I highly recommend this mod

As far as maintenance for the smt, keep fresh fluids in it and don't worry about it until it acts funny.

...and if you're not having any problems with smt don't disconnect any of the wiring or you will have problems.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was one of the write-up's I have been trolling. Thanks for the link; I will be doing that one when I get home in August!

As for pics of the wife . . . maybe later, haha. Nice avatar though, SRT4, ^_^ .

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again! Can't wait to finish school and get into practice. Hopefully I can support my automotive adventures as well.

It looks like I've already broken my resolution for no power. Thanks to glenonoka for the CHE headers! And possibly have a TRD front strut brace available as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts