MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No results in google, I’m thinking is it possible? Can anyone do it?? Sounds plausible, but I also haven’t looked up 4g63, hell, what can’t you fit in there?? If anyone knows someone whose done it, I’d like to see

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sure it can be done. It'll take a bit of time & money but shouldn't be much more difficult than doing any K swap into a Spyder... however, the turbo system and related intercooling system is harder to package into a Spyder... but still possible if you are a creative and mechanical.

Go for it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
It would be awesome if it could be done. I owned a 2017 Type R and it was fast. Traded it in on a Hellcat....got rid of the cat for the Spyder

·
Registered
841 Posts
Mid-mounting an fk8 ctr motor will only exacerbate its overheating problems
The overheating problem is related to the size of the radiator in the Civic. If you can cool a 400 HP boosted K20, you can cool a 300 HP fk8 ctr engine. Heat rejected is proportinal to HP. The CTR engine gives off a few extra kW of heat due to the integrated exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The overheating problem is related to the size of the radiator in the Civic. If you can cool a 400 HP boosted K20, you can cool a 300 HP fk8 ctr engine. Heat rejected is proportinal to HP. The CTR engine gives off a few extra kW of heat due to the integrated exhaust manifold.
Sort of, heat given off is more proportional to torque since producing more torque (via boost, or bigger cylinders) will cause more heat transfer to the cylinder walls, but spinning the engine faster won't. Power will produce extra heat in the oil of course.

I personally think 300hp is a bit much for the MR2 Spyder, and the packaging might be tricky with the exhaust in the front and all that turbo equipment. I would love to see a K20C2 (slightly modified) or M20A-FKS though. More modern design with bigger displacement, better throttle response (the 1ZZ hydraulic VVT is a bit sluggish at low speed), better fuel economy, decent top end power, and still lightweight.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I think it's actually 171 if you put in 91 octane gas, and since that's the newer hp rating, it's only a few hp behind a 180hp rated 2ZZ-GE. When googling some websites claim it goes as high as 175 but I can't find anything corroborating that, the highest I can find is "173 DIN hp" on the EU Rav4.

With the 14:1 hybrid pistons dropped in, I bet it would do 175 if not more on 93. I could see 190 easy with a modified intake manifold, 200 might be difficult due to head restriction.

K20C2 is obviously better suited for high revs since it's so similar to the K20A block. It won't produce as much power due to the integrated exhaust manifold, but it weighs like 50lbs less. I think 12.3 ish pistons + regrind + tune + intake manifold would get it to 200 if not more.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sort of, heat given off is more proportional to torque since producing more torque (via boost, or bigger cylinders) will cause more heat transfer to the cylinder walls, but spinning the engine faster won't. Power will produce extra heat in the oil of course.

I personally think 300hp is a bit much for the MR2 Spyder, and the packaging might be tricky with the exhaust in the front and all that turbo equipment. I would love to see a K20C2 (slightly modified) or M20A-FKS though. More modern design with bigger displacement, better throttle response (the 1ZZ hydraulic VVT is a bit sluggish at low speed), better fuel economy, decent top end power, and still lightweight.
Take it from a long-time engine engineer, heat to the coolant is directly proportional to power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts