MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Odd? Yes.
Batmobile-like? From some angles.
Will it work? From the video, better than I expected.

"[It has] a 1.6-litre, four-cylinder DIG-T engine vaguely related to that used by the Juke. It'll develop around 300hp but that's half the power - and cylinder count - of most LMP1 and LMP2 rivals, the DeltaWing's lap times nonetheless expected to be on a pace between these two classes." - Pistonheads

Very interesting.

Oh, and just cause I can't help myself...
Ace and Gary, your race car is ready!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Low CG
Wide track
Carbon Fiber, so I'm sure light
300 HP from a 1.6L engine

Winner from my perspective!
As opposed to the other LeMans prototype cars it's supposed to "compete" against? There's still a lot of speculation on this car and questions that can only be answered come race day. I'll wait until it starts posting lap times.

This picture should make the skinny tire fans on this board giggle in their pants

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As opposed to the other LeMans prototype cars it's supposed to "compete" against? There's still a lot of speculation on this car and questions that can only be answered come race day. I'll wait until it starts posting lap times.

This picture should make the skinny tire fans on this board giggle in their pants

Any lessons learned from this car would apply only to this car. It is radically different than any road car. However, your comment, combined with the image of this car, did get a chuckle from me. :lol:

Anyway, my understanding is that the car will not post lap times on par with the others on the track nor is it expected to. The car is meant to be an endurance car, pitting in far less often than the competition, securing a win in that fashion. Look at it, I see no wings or anything of the sort. I bet those specially made tires from Micheline are super hard and the 1.6l Nissan motor is said to have outstanding efficiency. It's an interesting idea.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anyway, my understanding is that the car will not post lap times on par with the others on the track nor is it expected to. The car is meant to be an endurance car, pitting in far less often than the competition, securing a win in that fashion. Look at it, I see no wings or anything of the sort. I bet those specially made tires from Micheline are super hard and the 1.6l Nissan motor is said to have outstanding efficiency. It's an interesting idea.
Quite the opposite actually. It is expected to lap as quickly as other Le Mans racers. What they are not after is a win. Because, as far as I can tell, there's not really a class for something so crazy.

About the efficiency of the engine... they are not going to run longer between pit stops, but instead carry less fuel. Their goals are to achieve similar times with half the power by also carrying half the weight and creating half the drag. Which is also why it doesn't have wings. Surprisingly enough, it is supposed to corner just as quickly as an ordinary Le Mans prototype, proving what we in Spyderland already know: less weight is better.

I'm genuinely curious how if fares.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=129&i=25360

·
Registered
969 Posts
Any lessons learned from this car would apply only to this car. It is radically different than any road car. However, your comment, combined with the image of this car, did get a chuckle from me. :lol:

They claim it will lap between the lmp2 and lmp1 cars. Wings are an easy way to add downforce at the expense of drag. But, when allowed to, underbody tunnels are far more efficient at creating downforce when used correctly.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This design was one of the few pitched to be the new body for Indy race cars. Too bad they passed on the design and went with a traditional chassis. Glad to see it's actually laying some laps down though. This thing must be brutal to drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.