MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in some Redline MT-90 fluid a while back and the trans bearing whine got worse...immediately. Lately it's gotten worse still. So today I set out to look for GL-4 fluid and could find NONE at 5-6 places I went. Everything stated it was GL-5 AND GL-4 rated and/or was labelled "limited slip". Nearly every place was out of stock of the same stuff - a Valvoline product.

So....given the goals of trying to find something maybe a little less slippery than Redline, anyone have a brand recommendation? Something that might be readily available at a retail parts place?

Or am I throwing good money after bad?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I got mine directly from AMSOIL.... its the 75w90 GL-4 manual transmission fluid. took only a few days to get to me here in SoCal also
Amsoil got my vote too! I got it from local Amsoil dealer, just go to Amsoil website and do a search around your area. Then just call bunch of them to get the best price and you can get it right away. I think there is also a forum member here, 07HR350Z, who is also an Amsoil dealer. PM him to double check. Good luck.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm getting ready to put LiquiMoly Fully Synthetic 75W-90 in my trans this week. It gets good ratings from the BMW crowd and it's rated GL-5. I'll let you know what I think after I drive it awhile. I got it at NAPA.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I'm getting ready to put LiquiMoly Fully Synthetic 75W-90 in my trans this week. It gets good ratings from the BMW crowd and it's rated GL-5. I'll let you know what I think after I drive it awhile. I got it at NAPA.
Make sure you give it a good few thousand miles before you give us your review of how it wrecked your synchronizers .

It may work well in BMW transmissions due to the fact that they may not use as much soft yellow metals.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Amsoil gl-4 user here. don't use a gl-5. Amsoil is good stuff.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put the Amsoil in today. No more whine and shifts feel a tiny bit slower, but it's a little early to draw conclusions about either. The whine was worse at some times vs. others. I want to see how the new oil behaves over the long term. It's certainly not the experience I had when I put in the Redline where the whine not only didn't go away, it got instantly a little worse.

Best part was the hand pump the sell. WAY better than the 2 other hand pumps I tried. The others either didn't actually pump anything, or hardly anything, and had tubes that wouldn't fit the fill hole. The Amsoil pump let me fill the trans properly.

·
Registered
544 Posts
OK, good to know I thought GL-5 was ok to use. I'll take it back and look for GL-4. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
OK, good to know I thought GL-5 was ok to use. I'll take it back and look for GL-4. Thanks.
GL5 is ok to use according to the BGB. Companies that sell GL5 say that it is a replacement for GL4 or they say it is backwards comparable.

So it is ok to use if you believe the marketing statement the first time when they ruined many transmissions. Then the second time they admitted to a problem with GL5 and corrected the formulation and now it's no longer a problem. Guess what, it's still a problem and the manufactures stand by their claim.

There is a few studies that show the corrosion of yellow metals with certain transmission fluid.
Amsoil and Redline had the least corrosion. Royal Purple had the most.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I found some Redline MT-90 full synthetic 75w-90 GL-4 for $11.80 a quart at a performance automotive shop. It was the only place in Austin that had it. I did speak with a couple of Amsol dealers that didn't have it in stock but could get it delivered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.