MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Spyder with 101,000 miles. I was out the other night and the heat was working fine. After dinner, I noticed that the heat was not working. I never see the temp gauge move past the mid point. Noticed it move up slightly and come back down to mid point twice. I checked, what I think, is the coolant overflow in the engine compartment and it empty.

What trouble shooting can I do or where else can I check to determine what is wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Is your blower still working? Under your dash, the far right white peice shown below should turn on when you kick on the AC.

Verify there is adequate coolant in the system as you cannot heat the heater core if there is no liquid to transmit the heat to the core. (verify fluid is within acceptable levels, bottom left of image (black and yellow cap).

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had a similar problem last winter, culprit was low coolant. Try topping it off and burping any air bubbles out. If you only top it off bubbles in the system can let the problem persist

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heater Problem

Audi_kraut and bob12312357,

The blower does work.

I checked the coolant level and there is NO fluid in, what looks like, the overflow reserve. Should there be coolant in there like in other vehicles? Is there a way to check the coolant in the radiator?

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Yes there should be coolant in the reservoir. The question is, where did the coolant go? Check for weeping around the water pump or at hose connections. If you lost coolant then you may have gotten an air bubble in the system. Coolant won't move easily, if at all, past a bubble. Search on burping the cooling system. If you add fluid until you find the leak you'll need to burp the system.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes, you can add coolant directly to the radiator if desired, which will give you a good idea of when it's full. Alternatively (which I believe is what most ppl do because it's easier) you can add coolant to the reservoir however keep in mind you must keep the car running and allow it to circulate into the system before you know if you've truly added enough. IIRC there is a max line on the reservoir container

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you can add coolant directly to the radiator if desired, which will give you a good idea of when it's full. Alternatively (which I believe is what most ppl do because it's easier) you can add coolant to the reservoir however keep in mind you must keep the car running and allow it to circulate into the system before you know if you've truly added enough. IIRC there is a max line on the reservoir container
Do I need to remove the plastic housing, where the spare is located" under the front lid to get to the radiator? Also, what do you mean by IIRC in the last sentence of your response.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Do a search for 'bleeding coolant' on this site. You will need to get some toyota coolant and top off the reservoir to the full line and keep filling and bleeding bubbles as per the directions. That being said, it sounds like you have a leak somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Do I need to remove the plastic housing, where the spare is located" under the front lid to get to the radiator? Also, what do you mean by IIRC in the last sentence of your response.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts