MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '00 5spd. will not idle when cold, just sputters and stalls. It will idle very poorly when warm, and throws P0300 misfire and occasionally P0301, P0302, p0304 codes.

I have replaced the following:
Plugs, coils, O2 sensors, MAF, exhaust manifold, main cat, fuel pump/filter/regulator, injectors, and IAC valve.

No bad wires from what I can tell and I have replaced a few bad vacuum hoses.

I would appreciate any help or ideas

Thanks

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
How many miles ?
Did it just start or is it a new to you car ?
Why did you replace the main cat , did it blow the precats in the old one ?
Will it rev and stay running ... just dies at idle ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles ?
How many miles ?
Car has done this since I got it in April
one Precat was missing, someone before me did some work on it as there were no remnants remaining,
can hear something rattling in original cat
It will stay running with throttle

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Well with all the new parts it seems you covered most of the usual stuff that cause those codes . Probably time for a compression test and maybe look at your fuel trims . Have you checked for exhaust leaks ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '00 5spd. will not idle when cold, just sputters and stalls. It will idle very poorly when warm, and throws P0300 misfire and occasionally P0301, P0302, p0304 codes.

Plugs, coils, O2 sensors, MAF, exhaust manifold, main cat, fuel pump/filter/regulator, injectors, and IAC valve.

Thanks
I agree with Carlbecker, it sounds like a idle air control valve. I had the same problem with my 2001.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Car has done this since I got it in April
one Precat was missing, someone before me did some work on it as there were no remnants remaining,
can hear something rattling in original cat

It will stay running with throttle
Highlight added. If only one pre-cat was missing, it is very unlikely someone removed just one. It probably disintegrated and the rattling was some of the the remains of the pre-cat. But some material may have been sucked back into the engine.

There is a high probability of major internal issues on a 2000 Spyder with 153K miles and a disintegrated pre-cat.

Since you have owned it for some time, what is the oil consumption?

Start with a compression check. Throwing parts at a bad engine isn't going to fix the engine

·
Registered
156 Posts

Thanks
If you change out the IAC get an OEM from Toyota. Expensive but worth every penny because the aftermarket ones suck, and I say that from wasting money on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I'll do a compression check, then look at the IAC valve again. I did go aftermarket when I replaced it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Compression test numbers aren't good, 105, 70, 130, 195

Looks like a new engine for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Chez
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing