MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed a ACT clutch and pressure plate with new throw out bearing, and when we tried to start the car it wouldnt turn over. so we jacked up the back and slowly turned the wheels (read it somewhere, weird) but when I put the car back on the ground it started and but it wouldnt take reverse, I can hear it beeping (JDM) but the R is not illuminating on the dash. So I tried to put it in first and it would only jerk forward and it smells like the cluytch is burning. Can someone please give me some input or some type of direction I should head trying to solve this problem. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Need to do a Friction Point Relearn..

Cap

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Need to do a Friction Point Relearn..

Cap
Your car advice is much better than mine... I was going to recommend parking on a hill...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the useful info, and the clutch feels pretty much alright, just cant get this reverse issue solved, if anyone has any pointers please feel free to let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Thanks for the useful info, and the clutch feels pretty much alright, just cant get this reverse issue solved, if anyone has any pointers please feel free to let me know. Thanks
Did you do the re-learn?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yah, gotta get a full relearn done when you do a clutch change, easiest to just take it to Mr. T and have them do it.

If you had them do a relearn do the reverse lights come on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Havent done the Relearn, and the Toyota Dealer in The Bahamas doesnt even bring in the SMT model because they cant even begin to know where to start when working on them. Can you give me a detail on the Relearn and if I can do it myself??? Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was also suppose to mention that I ran a diagnostic on it today and it threw saying that the transmission control module is out of whack, seems weird becuase before the clutch job, reverse was the only gear that was putting out positively

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
print out pages 19 & 20 of this and take it to your toyota dealer. They have to use their equipment to do the relearn process. Shouldn't cost you more than a computer diagnostic from them (half hour labor)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried the friction relearn point, still nothing. I can tell the gear selection is messed just by shifting, second and fourth feels so smooth but the 1st 3rd and 5th feel like I am downshifting. Any other ideas???

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
How did you get into 'parts exchange" to reset the smt numbers for your relearn? Alot of people think they are doing a relearn when in fact they are not. During a relearn the car acts in a very specific manner, with toyota's software it actually tells the tech what step of the relearn he is on, if you tried a battery disconnect it rarely works to reset it, and you have to be very familiar with the steps of the relearn because you're blindly setting it. When you changed the clutch you more than likely disconnected the position sensors to drop the transmission out, so you'll need a full sensor relearn, not just a friction relearn. You can try to reset it yourself by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, connecting the negative wire to the positive wire and then opening your driver door for a bit. It seems this is only possible for small amount of our cars, so being able to do it is just luck (still think theres some sort of on-board battery for the ecu, bad ones it works good ones it doesn't). You'll know if it worked if after you connect the battery back normally and turn the key t the 'on' position (but don't start it) the led indicator for the st on the dash will start blinking and the lcd will start running through numbers. You have to let it finish this and go to N on the lcd and the led go steady before you start the friction part of the relearn. It's not that expensive and alot less frustrating to just take the car to toyota and just have them do a full relearn (the pages 19&20 from the above link).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts