MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2003 SMT. The car is not starting. When I turn the key nothing happens. The clock does dim when I turn the key. Headlights remain bright. I do not see any gear indicator light illuminated. I do hear the pump run and shut off. The fuses in the engine compartment look ok. The car sits alot I have not driven it in 2 months. Not sure if I can even get it out of the portable garage I keep it in as it may be in gear. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
If you dont keep the battery charged with a trickle charger you will need a new battery every few months. The battery will discharge sitting even a couple of weeks. Sitting months might complete kill the battery

You can put the car in nuetral by moving the shifter linkage under the airbox by hand.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is on a trickle charger. Just noticed windows not working eiher.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Try cleaning your battery terminals.
Also, you don’t need to remove the air box but it’s easier to see if you do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I did clean the terminals. Will try and get it in neutral. I am stumped about the issue I may have to get it towed. God for a small car so many fuses in it.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi I have a 2003 SMT. The car is not starting. When I turn the key nothing happens.

Not sure if I can even get it out of the portable garage I keep it in as it may be in gear.
If it’s in gear, it won’t start.
Put the cabin shifter in neutral and also manually put the trans in neutral-the hole in the shaft pointing up and down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, can't get the cabin shifter in neutral. Is there a button some where to be able to get it over to neutral? I intend to take the airbox out so I can get at the Trans. So the shifter on the Trans rotates and I need to get the hole pointing vertically. I would guess I put a punch or something in the hole and rotate it that way.. Appreciate the help. Hopefully I can get this thing repaired.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made this video for you.
Wow that is great. I will give it a go. Apparently this is the least of my issues. I plugged my scan tool in and am getting multiple codes. C1521 c1522 c1533 c1539 c1551 c1552 c1553 and c1572. In addition to widows not working I noticed no display on the odometer. Thank you cyclehead. I may have to take it to Toyota but not looking good

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow fast reply. I do have a change in the situation
Thanks to your help I was able to get the shifter into neutral. I did have to take the trim piece off.. I was able to start the car. I can rev the engine so I guess it's in neutral. Now the issues are: I cannot shift it to S or R it's locked in neutral. The windows do not work. Odometer no display, Fuel gauge not working. Headlights blinker horn all ok.
Thank You.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, looking at a diagram online I found fuse 15 a 7.
5 amp fuse in the passenger compartment. it says it's for the gauges. The online diagram says power widows also. Can't get to the parts store today tho. I will see what happens. Hope this is it. I could use some luck.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Ok, looking at a diagram online I found fuse 15 a 7.
5 amp fuse in the passenger compartment. it says it's for the gauges. The online diagram says power widows also. Can't get to the parts store today tho. I will see what happens. Hope this is it. I could use some luck.
Grab a test light and you can go through the entire fuse block in a few seconds. Each fuse has a bare metal stud where you can touch the test light. If fuse is hot on one side, it should be hot on the other also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I replaced the blown fuse. The one marked gauges in the passenger compartment. It blew immediately. Right now I think I am getting towed to the dealership. Going away soon may do it when I get back. Appreciate the help it was invaluable. Hopefully it's repair able think rodents may have gotten in there. Hold on to my wallet.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
353 Posts
Sounds like a possible rodent issue with all the different things not working. With the car sitting for so long they could have gotten in and chewed through some of your wiring. With the fuses immediately blowing, the wiring is my guess. Mice like to build nests in my airbox which will completely clog the air filter. You might want to check that out while you're looking for the issue. You'll want to disconnect the battery for a bit so the computer will reset itself to being able to breath againif you find a nest in there. Personally I wouldn't take it to the stealership until I'd exhausted all effort in locating the issue myself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks I have took a quick look and did not see any damage. But I did see a nest under the front hood. I have had them in the past in the airbox. Usually this is a winter issue and I load the car up with mothballs.First time I seen this in the summer. I have disconnected the battery. Belive me I am reluctant to go to the dealer. Not sure where to even start.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts