MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK I called AAaA and had the car towed to a collision/repair shop that I know one of the managers The tow truck drive had no idea how to deal with this car. The engine did start then using the interlock he put it in reverse to get the car out of the garage. The car stalled. I was not able to get the car running again. Driver was a pain in the ass saying he's the pro. Then tells me to open the front hood so he could see the engine lol. He ended up dragging the car out about 15 feet over a gravel driveway. Pissed me off. At least I am confident the repair shop will be straight with me. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank you cyclehead. I did share this thread with them and a copy of the bgb. Although that is for a 2004 mines a 2003. Just thought that their rates are cheaper than a dealer and doing collision work may have more experience with electrical work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I finally heard back from the shop. They said some critter got into the shifter and chewed up the wiring/electronics. They were able to source one from South Jersey somewhere. My guess is with all the rain from Ida They were looking for higher ground. I do have bait boxes where the car is kept, in one of those portable garages. In the winter I typically put in mothballs and traps in the car. Not sure what else I can do. I hope this is all that is wrong. I will post with any more news. Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. If it's a recurrent issue try storing the car on jack stands & grease the jack stands to dissuade climbing (steel wool in the exhaust pipe as well)

I thought in Jersey the rats ended up swimming with the fishes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Got the car back today fixed. The shop was able to patch the wires up. Two were destroyed. Charge was 350 which I think is more than fair. Thanks to cyclehead for taking the time to create the videos. Now I need to figure out how to keep them out. Jacstands are nice but not very convenient would be good for winter.
Hood Bumper Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle
Electrician Circuit component Finger Hardware programmer Thumb

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve been told that scented dryer sheets help keep mice away. Don’t know if it’s true. Looking to keep the mice away from the car as it will be stored in the garage this winter. Have had mice in the garage last winter but was aggressive with the bait stations. So far seems to be working but like I said, winter is coming and that brings them inside.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
366 Posts
What a mess but I'm glad you got it taken care of. I'd heard about using dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap. I tried the Irish Spring in another vehicle and really can't stand the smell of that now so I tried dryer sheets in the spyder. These smell a lot better if you pick one that you like but I'm not sure if that has any impact on what the mice prefer 😀 I don't know if the dryer sheets worked but I haven't seen any sign of mice inside the car since then BUT I did have a nice little nest in the airbox of what looked like the same material you have under your shifter. Between the dryer sheets and mice traps when not in use, I've kept them out for now. Winter is coming so who knows what my plan will be for the upcoming storage season.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well it was good while it lasted. Went to home depot and when I got out the car stalled when putting it in reverse. It seems that the car just engages the clutch immediately and when my foot is on the brake it stalls. Same issue moving forward ot seems to be grinding the gears when upshifting. Downshifting seems ok.
I will start a new thread on this but looks like back to the shop.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts