MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need help: I bought a 2003 spyder new and it now has 80000 miles. I have a curosity question. Ever since I brought it home and until now, when my car is parked and the engine off, I hear a grinding noise for about 10 seconds and then it goes off. This occurs about every 20 minutes. Any ideas what this is about? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
this, along with the other post you made about it dieing makes me thing that the hpu is worn and grinding. It's supposed to sound a little like an aquarium air pump . It pumps for 10-30 seconds when you first open the door, any longer and you may have a problem. This malfunctioning would cause the clutch system not to have enough pressure to operate the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HPU problem

Thanks for your information. I will speak to my mechanic on Monday. One question, "What does HPU stand for?" Where is it located? Anything else I need to know, I want to appear informed since the mechanic or Toyota did not understand my situation. You have been very helpful Plebian, thanks.
dan

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
One question, "What does HPU stand for?" Where is it located? Anything else I need to know, I want to appear informed since the mechanic or Toyota did not understand my situation....
HPU is "high pressure unit". It is part of the SMT "sequential manual transmission". We are all assuming you have the SMT on your MR2. If you have a 5 speed with a clutch pedal, then disregard my reply and all the answers above.
If your mechanic is not very familiar with the SMT system, you're better off keeping any shifting problems away from him and rely on info from the forum.
With the engine off, your HPU pump should only run as you open the driver's door. It pre-pressurizes the clutch actuation and gear shifting system so everything will work when you start the engine and drive away. It should run between 20 and 30 seconds. Longer than 30 seconds appears to be a warning sign that your SMT system is worn. It should sound like an little bit noisy electric fuel pump. It is located on the driver's side of the engine compartment, roughly below the air filter box.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
HPU is "high pressure unit". It is part of the SMT "sequential manual transmission". We are all assuming you have the SMT on your MR2. If you have a 5 speed with a clutch pedal, then disregard my reply and all the answers above.
If your mechanic is not very familiar with the SMT system, you're better off keeping any shifting problems away from him and rely on info from the forum.
With the engine off, your HPU pump should only run as you open the driver's door. It pre-pressurizes the clutch actuation and gear shifting system so everything will work when you start the engine and drive away. It should run between 20 and 30 seconds. Longer than 30 seconds appears to be a warning sign that your SMT system is worn. It should sound like an little bit noisy electric fuel pump. It is located on the driver's side of the engine compartment, roughly below the air filter box.
Yup, about a foot above where the tailpipe is on the inside side of your bumper, Has a little translucent box with fluid in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts