MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A longtime member of this community passed away on July 29th doing what he loved to do, flying his ultralight glider. XBiker, Mike McGuire, 59, died when his ultralight spun out of control and crashed into Lake Beauclair in Tavares, Florida. Mike was very active and passionate in his hobby of paragliding and lived very close to the airport from which he took his final flight. A groundskeeper at a nearby golf course looked up and saw what looked like two parachutes tangled up and spiraling towards the lake. Mike's body was recovered from the lake by Tavares Fire Department and other crews. One of Mike's last posts was a photo from his paraglider of another paraglider up ahead with a lake below and the comment "This doesn't get boring."

Mike had a red widebody 2zz Spyder that he had purchased from Paul Price and then modified it some more. Mike attended several SADAS meets. He will be missed by his many Spyder friends and acquaintances.

XBiker, Mike McGuire, 59, dead from an ultralight crash into a lake. That is all.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
I enjoyed sharing time with Mike, driving the Indiana Meet and him coming to Indy for a few Cars and Coffee meets. I got to meet both his kids. At least he was doing something for which he had a great passion.

RIP, Mike!!!

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
That was a speedy drive down, wasn't it, phatts(I drove down and met up with x and phatts)!? Left to right, the Spyders of x, ddawg, phatts, and Galo

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh my. This makes me sick. Mike was a great guy. He stayed at our house a few times for the Pig Trail. He loved flying. He had just bought a plane and was looking forward to flying it. He will be missed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
X was one of the craziest and most fun people I had the pleasure of hanging out with. I met him for the first time at the spring meet of the Dragon during my impromptu drink party. The next morning I stumbled into the restaurant perfectly o.k. with sitting at a quiet table alone, and he invited me to sit at the breakfast table with everyone. I felt like part of a family at that moment.

Some of my fondest memories were made along side him. Who can forget house-gate? X rented the house and put me in charge of getting into the cabin and I went to the wrong one. The police showed up and asked who rented the house and we threw out "X", "Xbiker on Spyderchat", no one knew his name. The officer was not happy about that. But then someone came up with his name and cell phone number and of course when dispatch called him, it went straight to voicemail. We could hear him when he went from the asphalt road to the concrete bridge. I will never forget the roar of his engine for as long as I live. When he pulled up, he told the police officer he didn't know us. Then he proceeded to tell me I was at the wrong house (Ya think). He laughed so hard listening to our experience.

Mike's glider family says he is flying high right now, but I'd like to think he is on a curvy back road with his petal to the metal and permagrin on his face. I miss him terribly and I hope that whenever he gets to where he's going, that he will save a space for me at the breakfast table. :cry: I love you all! MissDinSC

·
Registered
487 Posts
the time his go-pro fell off his car on the dragon was funny, it rolled and flipped a couple times then settled in next to road and continued to film cars passing by. could not have planned it better.
Didn’t he call GoPro and they either replaced his camera or the casing?

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,832 Posts
I went back with him and and stood up on the passenger side while he drove. We found it on the side of the road. It had a crack in the case but it worked fine. I do not know if he got it fixed or replaced after that. That was back in 2016 and my last trip there. It will not be the same without Mike.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Mike's son, Zack, called me Sunday. I expressed our sorrow and wished his family our best. He appreciated the thought. He's a good "kid"...I've only spent a few minutes around his daughter, but she is a nice kid too(she was a high school soccer player going to a camp at DePauw Uni in Greencastle IN).
T-bone and I chatted the other day, and think it would be fitting to make a donation to a drug program or Kentucky LEO benevolence fund, in lieu of sending flowers.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Galo, it seems like you know the family well and I support whatever you feel is the best course of action. I met his son once but never met his daughter. I know he was proud of them.

We would like to use the likeness of Mikes car on the t-shirt for the 20th Anniversary of SADAS. When you feel it’s appropriate, can you ask them if they approve and also extend an invitation for them to join us?

Again, thank you for providing this update. Much love, MissDinSC

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Under the circumstances, my pleasure...and I wouldn't say "well", but I've been around the kids.

I just got off the phone with Zack again(Mike's daughter's name is Corbin). There will be a service, Monday, 8/12/2019, Heady-Radcliffe Funeral Home, 706 W Jefferson St, La Grange KY 40031, 4-6PM.with a Celebration at 6PM. His family said Mike had been involved with child services, and making a donation to Kosair Charities , kosair.org, in lieu of flowers would be very fitting(MY word).

I will be attending, and if anyone else is going, I think it would be VERY cool if we drove our Spyders.

As I have more contact with Zack and his family, I'll pass the info on.

Galo

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Ok, more info and thoughts...

Do "we" want to make a "group donation" to Kosair Charities( https://kosair.org/ )? If "you" do, you can send your donation to my wife's PP account, and I will get the amount donated to Kosair. IF this is agreeable, post here or by "Conversation", and I will get the PP info to you by "Conversation".
Now, do "we" want to "set a donation amount" figure, or make it a "give what you can"? I certainly don't know everyone's financial situation, but I've already been in a "conversation", and the person was offering to give more than I would have "suggested" as an affordable amount.

My thought is to make the donation in Mike's name, from the Spyder Community.

If "you" want to make your own donation, feel free to do so.

Let me know.

Any thoughts?

Thank you ALL!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I’m good with the group donation. People can give what they can and “we” could set a send your money by date so the final amount can be tallied and donated. Although you would see who & what the donation amounts are, keeping that info anonymous as possible would be great. I think the most important thing is that we are coming together as a community to donate to a cause that was supported by Mike and his family.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Agreed, Dion, that's what I'm doing on another site.

Again, IF anyone wants to make a "group" donation, PM, "Conversation" me, and I will give you my wife's PP addy. I won't see the monies til late Friday afternoon, evening. I will try to make the donation to Korsair Charities Monday, before the wake/celebration. IF there are more donations after this time, I will see the money gets to the charity.

IF anyone wishes to make their own donation, not thru the group, by all means do that.

I'm shutting down for the night, so if someone "Conversations" me tonight, I'll get you the PP addy tomorrow.

Thanks and good night!

·
Registered
379 Posts
RIP Mike McGuire, aka XBiker. I believe I had the opportunity to communicate with him in at least a thread or two...I didn't know him personally; never met him in person, but he seemed like a nice guy on spyderchat. He seemed knowledgeable as well; providing input on several topics.

May his soul rest in peace and his family and friends be consoled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts