MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to remove my O2 sensors to inspect my precats. Reviews of the socket types online say those spread and round off the sensor's bolt ends. What type of tool and brand do I use? I'm soaking them with PB blaster now. Thanks for any help. I'm new to the MR2 but not new to wrenching. Prior toy did not have O2 sensors.

·
Registered
858 Posts
get ones made from good steel, they will have the black oxide look like impact sockets. I prefer the ones where the socket drive is offset from the center of the socket and they are lower profile than the long ones that just have a slit down the side.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
In general when the sensor becomes rounded it is due to user error, not the tool's fault. These are not precision tools, they are just glorified sockets. If you make sure that the tool is seated properly on the sensor (use one hand to steady it, the other to turn) you will have no problem. If you want to waste some money buy a Snap-on removal tool. Just one word of caution avoid cast tools. For most situations they are fine, but I have personally broken cast tools on strongly stuck sensors. Of course I am a brute and anyone else is not likely to have the strength to do this. Buy a forged tool.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really appreciate the reply’s. I rented a set of offsets and a socket for 02
It was this one.
The two offsets were a no go because of room. The tall slotted socket was the one I feared to round off. It was no drama. I had soaked PB blaster the night before on the sensors and that morning. Loosened with hardly any force at all.
I made sure that the socket was seated like I do with spark plugs.
I’m going to go ahead and take the manifold off because I can’t see the whole matrix top. Soaking all fasteners now.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The thing is, you don't even need a good one if you work smart. If you need to remove an O2 sensor and it's old, cut the wire and use a regular socket. If it's new and its seized, well you overtorqued it and didn't use anti seize like you're supposed to. Unfortunate circumstances, been there. To reinstall a sensor, any cheap socket will work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wound up getting a Lisle O2 socket. Have a few tools of that brand and they never let me down. Saw a spec the sensors are torqued to 32 FT LBS. Used anti seize on each.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Damn... 32 ft lbs seems kind of high, but if that's the spec then that's the spec.

I would have guessed like 15-20 ft lbs

I have the same one from Amazon like posted above, it's a fine tool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts