MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CEL and my reader (OBDLink Bluetooth from Scantool.net) tells me there is no code but does acknowledge the MIL (or CEL) is on. I want to verify that there really isn't a code (yea right) as opposed to being a faulty / rubbish reader.

I'm fairly sure I caused the CEL (installing my remote start alarm) but clear it via ECU disconnect and it does come back.

Does anyone know what the method and flash sequence / timing is to get it using the light itself? I'd rather not short pins without confidence it's correct for my Spyder (I have a light but can still drive the car :)

If it's on this forum somewhere stuffed if I can find it.

An example of what I mean for an Avalon.

http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/ToyotaEFI/TOYOTA-EFI-21-Avalon.php

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
OBD2 Requires a Reader.. NO other way.. The 'Pin Shorting' is for the JDM and all other Body ECU's..

Cap

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What about the example I gave? That's OBDII and references pin shorting and flashes. Guess it'soff to Toyota to get it read then (inserts tail between legs as no doubt I am cause of CEL).

Maybe I should ask then what can you guys see with your obdii scanners? I have previously pulled and cleared a code but don't see sensor readings, fuel-air, dtc status basically empty, ego, fuel trim, on sensors.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
The Shorting Pins will only read the 'Other ECU's' and the Like.. It will read a JDM ECU but NOT a OBD2 ECU.. for the OBD2 a reader is required..

Cap

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Unfortunantly (only because it doesn't suit me :)) I'll accept that. What does you scanner manage to pull out then? I'm wondering if mine is limited / broken. Today I puposley disconnected the EGO (at least I think that's what it is) senson from the right hand side of the maniffold and still no code comes via my scanner which I find hard to believe.

I can however see some active data (e.g. throttle position, OBD based speed, revs, coolant temp etc). There is a lot I expected to see I don't (EGO, fuel trims, 02 sensor).

My scanner has pulled codes fom my car before but I'm wondering if they are limited. Any cause of CEL that won't have a code???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts