MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a 2ZZ Spyder. After an extensive search for a nice 6sp knob, I compiled some of the more recent OEM ones that match the shift pattern. Feel free to add your own with P/N's
(FYI 6sp Bimmers have the same shift pattern if you dont want OEM.)

USDM Celica: 33504-20150-C0

JDM Celica (also called TRD SPORT M, no P/N):

Matrix XRS/Pontiac Vibe: 33504-12261-B0

Sportivo(Aussie Corolla): 33504-13071-B0

The R is rrred, so it adds horsepower.

I myself ordered the Sportivo. I love it.
http://www.carpron.com/multisite/d/375370-2/P1190046.jpg
http://www.carpron.com/multisite/d/375373-2/P1190053.jpg

-Karl

·
Registered
168 Posts
QA

If I put a 6 speed shift knob on my 5 speed, will I gain a gear?

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,875 Posts
Nice. Is that from the FR-S? If you done mind me asking, how much? I do like it.
Close. It is actually from a BRZ. The FR-S has red stitching which I did not want. You can also get the one from the Toyota GT86 base which is all black if you want to pay overseas shipping.

The knobs sell for $120 new. I paid half that and picked one up barely used from the FR-S/BRZ forums.

I think it is a great color match for the black and silver interior of the MR-S.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Close. It is actually from a BRZ. The FR-S has red stitching which I did not want. You can also get the one from the Toyota GT86 base which is all black if you want to pay overseas shipping.

The knobs sell for $120 new. I paid half that and picked one up barely used from the FR-S/BRZ forums.

I think it is a great color match for the black and silver interior of the MR-S.
the shift knob looks good. do you happen to know for sure if it will screw right on to our spyders? anyone know if that knob is also weighted?

·
Registered
969 Posts

Wow people are surely starting to mod those cars real quick

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,875 Posts
the shift knob looks good. do you happen to know for sure if it will screw right on to our spyders? anyone know if that knob is also weighted?
I will know the answers to both questions in a couple days.

Thread is M12X1.25. As far as I can tell that is the same as the OEM manual transmission Spyder shifter.

Edit: You may want to hold off on buying the OEM knob I posted. Several people on the other forum are complaining about the knob coming loose and the inability to keep it tightened. I will report my experience with it when I get it installed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Damn you Karl you make me miss that black car.

I wonder if the Tacoma one will work? I have a lead on one for cheap.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,875 Posts
Got the shift knob today. It fits great and looks good. Also has some heft to it. I took off my little round TRD leather knob which is really light and put this on. Did not have a scale to weigh it accurately but the ole' bathroom scale put it just under a pound. It screwed on easy and tightened down properly. As I mentioned before some on the FR-S sites have been complaining that it comes loose and they have to use teflon tape to get it to stay. Time will tell. Here is how it looks:

Update: I love the weight and feel of the knob. It has improved the shifting action. However, I do have a small complaint about it. Toyota (or Subaru) chose to make it so the threaded well on the shift knob has no stop point on it. You can continue to tighten the knob until the cap with the shift pattern on it starts to lift. It never really snugs down completely. I guess the only way to keep it completely tight is to use Lock Tight or a silicon adhesive when installing it. I have not done this because the knob is pretty tight anyway and does not affect shifting. All in all I am satisfied with it and find it a huge improvement over stock and the lightweight TRD knob I used before.

Update 2: I ended up making a stop for the inside of the threads. I bought a 12M x 1.25 bolt and cut about a quarter inch of the threads off the end of it. Then I cleaned up the threads and cut a screwdriver slot across the cut portion of the bolt threads.That in effect created a slotted set screw which I then threaded into the knob. I then put the knob on and tightened it down until it hit this new "stop". I had to take it on and off a couple times until I got it adjusted so the shifter pattern was oriented right but it now tightens down properly. The knob is raised up on the shifter shaft by the thickness of the insert that I made but still looks good. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I second the finding bargains via OEM takeoffs from new owners. ;)

I'll be trying this one out in a bit. Not OEM, but at a lower price than retail for OEM, TRD, or STI offerings for the FR-S and BRZ, why not?

Cusco knob. It should be Delrin/Duracon/Jurgon (whatever manufacturers are calling it now), which makes me a happy camper.

9/29 - The knob arrived yesterday. I was surprised by how small it seemed, but the Duracon is milled, which gives it a nice feel opposed to a very smoothly finished one (like most of my others). I put it on my spare shifter to see what it was like. Not sure how it will hold up to driving, but it seems secure thread- wise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.