MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, trying to remove my OEM muffler, and I have the two bolts and three hangers off, but the part from the muffler to the tip is getting caught between the cat pipe and the sway bar(?). I really don’t want to deal with the Three Amigos, is there any way to get it out otherwise? Is removing the crash bar a bad idea? TIA

·
Registered
105 Posts
I haven't removed the muffler but looking at my car, removing the bolts and brackets holding the rear sway bar bushings in should allow the sway bar to drop down and give you enough room to wiggle it out. I don't have a stock cat pipe though, so maybe that won't work. Should only take 5 minutes to try.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
I haven't removed the muffler but looking at my car, removing the bolts and brackets holding the rear sway bar bushings in should allow the sway bar to drop down and give you enough room to wiggle it out. I don't have a stock cat pipe though, so maybe that won't work. Should only take 5 minutes to try.
Since when do you need to remove the sway bar to pull the exhaust? If the bolts won't come off from rust they are most likely anealed. Get an extension and they will snap right off. The easiest method to pull everything is to remove the bumper IMO. I don't really like laying under a car that is on jacks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 on removing the bumper. I don't remember this being a difficult job when installing my Team Moon...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since when do you need to remove the sway bar to pull the exhaust? If the bolts won't come off from rust they are most likely anealed. Get an extension and they will snap right off. The easiest method to pull everything is to remove the bumper IMO. I don't really like laying under a car that is on jacks.
+1 on removing the bumper. I don't remember this being a difficult job when installing my Team Moon...
Yeah, it looks like just 6 bolts to me. Anything I need to look out for when I do that? All I can think of is making sure to torque them back down properly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's been awhile so I can't picture where you are having problems. PB Blaster has always worked for me and you can see in my post, my exhaust bolts were pretty crusty.

Another trick is to try to tighten the bolt slightly to get movement before loosening.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Take a vice grip and attach it to the bolt/nut as a heatsink. Then take a torch and heat the area around the bolt /nut (do not heat the bolt/nut itself). Spray some PB blaster or Deep Creep on top so that it runs down with gravity. Wait a day, and then try to remove it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was able to maneuver the exhaust out with some help and without taking the crash bar off. New exhaust took about 30 seconds to maneuver back in, and sounds amazing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts