MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
good call, I use them on high millage engines in my fleet all the time. you should try some marvel mystery oil with your oil to help free up the rings (assuming your bores are still round) how many miles are on your engine?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
So significant oil in the intake is what he was seeing?

Catch cans are the eco friendly way or you can cap the intake side, breather on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
So significant oil in the intake is what he was seeing?

Catch cans are the eco friendly way or you can cap the intake side, breather on the exhaust side.
You need an effective way to keep the negative pressure from the intake to draw out blowby gasses. Without doing so can ruin the oil early. I personally would not use a catch can as you want the least amount of restriction going back into the intake.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes and it was effecting his tuning effort,some of the guys on track were seeing White smoke on WOT , I thought I was overfilling my crankcase

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
You need an effective way to keep the negative pressure from the intake to draw out blowby gasses. Without doing so can ruin the oil early. I personally would not use a catch can as you want the least amount of restriction going back into the intake.
I was always told recirculating is for emissions and to better the environment, not for any other functionality of the vehicle.

Wouldn't the system be pressurized right after start up and not really be impeded by flow anyway? I wouldn't think you could notice any performance difference with this. I know my cousin had a turbo D series civic with close to 400hp and it needed the vents and a catch can since the crankcase pressure would blow his oil dipstick out of the tube. He also filled a vente starbucks cup of oil from the catch can a few months after it was on his car.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
I was always told recirculating is for emissions and to better the environment, not for any other functionality of the vehicle.

Wouldn't the system be pressurized right after start up and not really be impeded by flow anyway? I wouldn't think you could notice any performance difference with this. I know my cousin had a turbo D series civic with close to 400hp and it needed the vents and a catch can since the crankcase pressure would blow his oil dipstick out of the tube. He also filled a vente starbucks cup of oil from the catch can a few months after it was on his car.
The positive crankcase ventilation system is not just for emissions as it is a critical system to depressurize the crankcase for better ring seal as well as to remove blowby gases that contaminate the oil. If these gases are not not removed by suction from the intake it will lower the total base number of the oil and reduce the longevity of the engine. There are race cars that employ a vacuum pump that runs off the engine for a performance advantage because negative crankcase pressure can increase power. Our engines require a fully functioning PCV system and although it's negative effects are the fact that the blowby gases contaminate the plenum it's not really a big deal as long as you have a good air filtration system.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I remember reading a while back, someones justification for a catch can being that blow by gasses ( due to their oil content ) can reduce the effective octane rating of the fuel or something along those lines?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Lower octane fuel has no less power, only more prone to detonation. Makes no difference for most owners. Catch cans do seem to be marketed to the high compression/boosted market...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I remember reading a while back, someones justification for a catch can being that blow by gasses ( due to their oil content ) can reduce the effective octane rating of the fuel or something along those lines?
One of the downsides of a forum such as this - well, the Internet in general - is that anyone can say just about anything, other people are going to repeat it, and some people are going to believe it (you have to look no further than Washington DC for a perfect example of that!). Someone once said, "Trust, but verify." Put another way, be naturally skeptical on your way to recognizing 'who' it is you can trust.

·
Registered
217 Posts
One of the downsides of a forum such as this - well, the Internet in general - is that anyone can say just about anything, other people are going to repeat it, and some people are going to believe it (you have to look no further than Washington DC for a perfect example of that!). Someone once said, "Trust, but verify." Put another way, be naturally skeptical on your way to recognizing 'who' it is you can trust.
Haha of course, but thats why i had the question mark at the end, it was more of a question, even though it sounded a little like a statement. I see lots of hi-po cars with them, but i also see many others that dont so its hard to determine their true value.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update ,my cans caught about 9 onces of oil over a weekend,8 20 min. sessions at the track ,all from the can hooked up to the PCV line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts