MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for my spring oil change after install of the ground effects. So taking in consideration the possibility of scrapping the GE, I thought this out well and decided to backup onto some planks and the ramps at the same time, causing the rear end to be on the ramps and the front end to be on the 2 inch high boards. So far, good planning.

So now I put my new low profile jack under the front and jack the front end of the car up, slightly higher than the rear. Put jack stands under the front car by the lift points and all is well.

Drain oil and all the yada, yada, yada, stuff. So now I want to start the car while the rear is on the ramps and the front is on the jack stands. However I don't get in the car but open the door, push clutch in with my hand and start the car. All is working out as planned until I release the clutch...not realizing the car is still in gear! Catastrophe flashes through my mind as I turn off the key, but not soon enough

Immediately the ramps shoot out from under the car. About 10 feet into the driveway. The rear end of the car comes done, engine bay cover slams down! Damn I say! I check under the car to see if anything is leaking, no! Pop open engine lid to see that I broke the rod attachment to the body, but the rod is just sitting there. So far so good. Now all I have to do is jack up the car to take jack stands out to make sure the is no body damage. However I can't get the jack to work! The new harbor freight jack had a one lift life expectancy! I can't lift the car up to remove the now angled jack stands. No matter what I do, the jack won't lift up the car! The car precariously leaning on the stands with no way to lift he car up. Throw the lift into my truck and off to Harbor fright to return it.

Get there and I can't return/exchange it because I didn't bring the freakin receipt. I told the manager that the receipt was the least of my problems, the car leaning was more important. So rather than argue the absurd with him I bought a second one. Lifted the car up and removed the stands and no damage. No damage anywhere except for the plastic part the the engine lid support.

In retrospect I was so freakin' pissed that I left the car in gear, but got lucky. At least this time. Tomorrow morning I change the oil in my Volvo! What surprises await me then!

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
AND.. you now have TWO Jacks..

You will learn to love that..

Glad no one got hurt..

It's still funny..

Cap

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Ouch!
The good news is that the plactic grommet can be bought separately. Heat it in warm-to-boiling water and it will slip on to the prop-rod easily.

Part Number is 90480-15028, I think.
I've lost TWO prop Rods because of the Missing Gromet..

Time for the Gas Struts Conversion..

Cap

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Why on earth would you want to start the car while having it jacked up ?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the jack return thingy this morning and I notice that there was a $30 off coupon in this morning paper for the exact jack that I bought last night. Returned the first one that was bad and got $30 in cash on the one I bought last night with the coupon from this morning's paper.

All is well

·
Registered
159 Posts
I read the whole middle section of this post with my mouth hanging wide open! I was afraid to keep reading. Glad all was well and no major damage done to the car. Although...I think I am fully awake this morning after reading about your suspenseful situation.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Ah the Harbor Freight jack. Reminds me of my lost-two-jacks-in-one-day minivan CV axle change -- that one ended up costing me $25,900 to fix ($600 to have it towed to the local garage and get fixed and $25,300 in 'punitive damages' -- having to buy my wife a new CRV because she was pissed that I disabled her van and then went away for a week on a business trip).

The thing about the cheap Chinese tools is.... they're so cheap we just keep buying them. The $80 low-profile aluminum jack would cost $500 for a rebuildable version, and then probably $80 to have it rebuilt every time. If you want to feel better you can go buy the Craftsman jack for 2X the Harbor Freight price, but if you ask me you're paying a lot of money for a Craftsman sticker and yellow paint. Or you can buy a Torin, or whatever-brand-the-chain-auto-stores-are-selling-today. All basically the same stuff, it's hit or miss. Only pisses us off when we 'miss.'

·
Registered
782 Posts
Don't you people leave the car up to check for leaks while the car is running?
I put it on the ground, don't even like to get in it when it's jacked up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts