MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I know this had been discussed a lot here but would need some more advice. My MR2 is consuming a lot of oil and also i can notice a drastic lack of power. So with help of a mechanic friend, we are looking to rebuild the engine. WHat i've learned here is that the pistons rings need replacement and all gasket etc.

Would really appreciate if someone could tell me what else i need to replace, like pistons rings, pistons, header gasket ???

My only concern is will the same issue happen in the future or has the factory issue on pistons prior to 2003 has been resolved

Looking to rebuild than get a new engine as its expensive here in Oz and garage will charge me more than the car to do that :angry:

Thanks

Fred

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Do you have access to used engines. I am sure there must be thousands of regular 1zz from other Toyota products that you can use with very little modification.

Rebuilding is not advised as they have a much higher failure rate then a good used motor because the tolerances cannot be as good as a factory motors made on precise tooling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have access to used engines. I am sure there must be thousands of regular 1zz from other Toyota products that you can use with very little modification.

Rebuilding is not advised as they have a much higher failure rate then a good used motor because the tolerances cannot be as good as a factory motors made on precise tooling.

You mean just to replace the piston rings and piston its better to get a second hand engines ???? :(

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If you choose to rebuild.. you will need somebody that has done Engines Before.. and then there is no assurance that they know how to use Plastigauge.. or what it's for.. or how to understand the Torque Specks of the ZZ Engines.. Yes they are Different.. More than One engine has been Hurt by not understanding what the book is telling you..

There are too many things that can and will go bad in a Maiden Voyage of a Close Tolerance Engine..

I would STRONGLY recommend getting a used 1ZZ to replace your bad one..

I have talked a few people through the bearing set up procedure.. but I think the Phone call to Oz is not on my calling Plan.. so I might have to Bow out of this one..

IF you have Someone that has Done Honda Engines.. and Understands Different Bearing Sizes to get the Proper Clearances.. ( Toyota has 4 Different Main Bearing Set Sizes as Standard.. and three Rod bearing Sizes to choose from.. to set up a Stock Size Crank and rod set ).. you might have a Fighting Chance..

But If you have a Person of that Expertise helping you.. then they should already know what needs replacing.. and you could ask them..

It's a Furrball.. and the Odds are Against you if you try it.. if you do choose to try.. I'll help as best I can.. and you best have a Good Set of Micrometers for the Bore.. as it has to be done right..

Cap

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you choose to rebuild.. you will need somebody that has done Engines Before.. and then there is no assurance that they know how to use Plastigauge.. or what it's for.. or how to understand the Torque Specks of the ZZ Engines.. Yes they are Different.. More than One engine has been Hurt by not understanding what the book is telling you..

There are too many things that can and will go bad in a Maiden Voyage of a Close Tolerance Engine..

I would STRONGLY recommend getting a used 1ZZ to replace your bad one..

I have talked a few people through the bearing set up procedure.. but I think the Phone call to Oz is not on my calling Plan.. so I might have to Bow out of this one..

IF you have Someone that has Done Honda Engines.. and Understands Different Bearing Sizes to get the Proper Clearances.. ( Toyota has 4 Different Main Bearing Set Sizes as Standard.. and three Rod bearing Sizes to choose from.. to set up a Stock Size Crank and rod set ).. you might have a Fighting Chance..

But If you have a Person of that Expertise helping you.. then they should already know what needs replacing.. and you could ask them..

It's a Furrball.. and the Odds are Against you if you try it.. if you do choose to try.. I'll help as best I can.. and you best have a Good Set of Micrometers for the Bore.. as it has to be done right..

Cap
The guy i know has been knowledge of rebuilding and does also Hot rods :). We are first looking at replacing the pistons rings and whatever we find need replacing. A garage will ask around 3000-6000$ for working on my car.

Im also looking for a swap to 2zz but doesnt want have to them spend lot to get it fit

Will any 1zz fit without any issue ( celica, etc ) My issue also what if the 2nd hand engine then has the same oil issue:cool:

This car is doing my headache

thanks for all your support

cheers

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Cost wise: YES
At least in the USA.
I think cost wise still applies considering that he may end up doing the job twice or thrice.

The only person I would trust for a rebuild is someone who has done several rebuilds of the same engine and has proven track record of low oil consumption from these motors.

The only time I would consider rebuilding is if I accepted to sacrifice over all long term reliability for short term durability for my quest for more power. This makes the 2zz is the smart choice but not necessarily the best in terms for hp per dollar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think cost wise still applies considering that he may end up doing the job twice or thrice.

The only person I would trust for a rebuild is someone who has done several rebuilds of the same engine and has proven track record of low oil consumption from these motors.

The only time I would consider rebuilding is if I accepted to sacrifice over all long term reliability for short term durability for my quest for more power. This makes the 2zz is the smart choice but not necessarily the best in terms for hp per dollar.

Hi

Im not looking for more power as need daily commuter, i have my sport bikes if i need to feel the urge for speeding B). Im just looking to get the car back to normal state of oil consumption and speed:lol:

Im looking to get another 1zz but its not easy here unless i get from US, UK or japan

will this option also be a shit option
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-1-8-1ZZ-REBUILT-SHORT-BLOCK-2000-2008-/260685388250?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb20f59da

thanks guys

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Hi

Im not looking for more power as need daily commuter, i have my sport bikes if i need to feel the urge for speeding B). Im just looking to get the car back to normal state of oil consumption and speed:lol:

Im looking to get another 1zz but its not easy here unless i get from US, UK or japan

will this option also be a shit option
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-1-8-1ZZ-REBUILT-SHORT-BLOCK-2000-2008-/260685388250?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb20f59da

thanks guys
I was just writing in general not particularly pertaining to your situation, that's why you were not quoted.
A new short block is a good idea however I still think cost wise you are better off with a use low millage motor from a Celica, Corolla or what ever make that is sold in your market that has a 1ZZ.
We have the resources though the search engine for those people that implemented these engines with very little modification. I am sure in your country like most other places they must have a wrecking/recycling yard that will sell used engines. Find a good low millage engine and forget about it.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
One thing to consider.. is the CrankShaft can be turned.. and Toyota and others will supply the Undersize Bearings nessasary..

HOWEVER.. do not use an Undersize Crank.. as the Hard Plating MIGHT have been ground through.. People will supply ground cranks for rebuild.. do not use them..

So is this block you linked to, using a ground crank?.. Don't know..

I will be needing a Replacement Engine for My MR2.. It has 203 K Miles on it now.. and doing good.. but it will not last forever.. and I will be Rebuilding an Engine to get ready for my Exchange..

I have the Ability to Polish the Crank to Round.. and the Talent to Adjust the Bearings to Fit the Crank.. So I'm Confident that the Bottom End will be right..

The Bores I have not seen Yet.. But Likely a Hone will clean it.. If not ( Or if Close ) then I'll have it Bored..

The Head I will not mess with.. drop it off at My Favorite Shop.. and a Few Hundred Dollars Later.. I'll get it back PERFECT.. I know the Shop and his Work..

So my Replacement Engine is 'Almost Done'.. as I have a Plan.. and I know where to find the Talent..

If you can find the Talent in your Neck of the Woods.. then you can also rebuild the Engine.. But if your Breaking in Virgins on this kind of Motor ( WAY more picky than a V8 ).. then you chances are poor..

Good Luck on what ever you do.. as these cars are fun.. and Broken Spyders are no Fun..

Cap

·
Registered
102 Posts
Carolina Machine Engines offers a re-manufactured (to factory specs) long block w/ 60k/5yr warranty
for around $2200. I just got one and have it almost finished. I will be posting how it works out soon.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
mr t sells short blocks long blocks top ends etc just replace what is needed happy motoring :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mr t sells short blocks long blocks top ends etc just replace what is needed happy motoring :lol:

Hi

Finally i will order a brand new oem short block, oil pump, water pump, and timing chain :)

And get it running smooth again :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts