MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you having problems with your poor spyder sounding like a diesel? And your car is starting to sound like this?
Video clip of noise (watch as he unplugs the OCV) http://media.putfile.com/VVT-noise
Cleaning guide for Celicas http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread...+Cleaning+Guide

Try this repair procedure out! In this how to, I will be showing you how to remove and clean the oil control valve, and the oil control valve oil strainer. This job isnt exactly easy, but today Ill be your guide! Best of Luck to all!!

Start with a cold engine, and disconnect battery

Unplug passenger side 02 sesonr, and remove one 10mm bolt for the dipstick retainer

Remove plastic engine Garnish (10mm)

Remove alternator upper hold down bolt. (Dont worry, the alternator not move)(12mm)

Remove another bracket at the upper passenger side of the valve cover (10mm)

Unplug the OCV

Remove engine belt . And remove belt tensioner(Draw a belt routing schematic for the forgetfull ones)

Support the motor lightly with a jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan LIGHTLY

Remove motor mount bridge bolts

One here

One here

One here

And one here

Remove the motor mount bridge

Move the dipstick out of the way, it will stay in place when moved
Before

After

Remove the OCV by removing the 10mm hold down bolt. Pictured, rob is holding the mounting tab

Directly below the OCV bore is the strainer bore. Remove the 14mm plug bolt, and remove the strainer. May need a set of 90 degree needle nose pliers to remove the strainer.

Alright!! Now clean the strainer and OCV with a good carb cleaner, and re-assemble in reverse order of dissasembly

Your done!!

Thanks to Birdman, 4agze, and MDizzle86 for the pictures

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Thank you!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey jon I'm really glad that I could help you out by using my car to do this wright up. may be we could do some other posts in the the future about how to properly do different mods to our cars. excypt for your air intake... I won't do that to my car. lol.

·
Registered
269 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdalbert @ Nov 10 2007, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My uncle and I did this trying to remedy my CEL (1349). There wasn't a noticeable difference in diesel sound for me. It didn't fix the CEL, by the way.[/b]
Any tips on getting the upper alternator bolt off? With a normal socket I didn't have enough room to undo it, so I tried a deep socket and that hit on one of the brackets =\

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Oct 11 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Would electrical cleaner (MAF cleaner) work on this?

Or better yet since it's metal can I just use brake cleaner?[/b]
I just dropped the entire thing in brake clean. Mine is still working great

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TRUENOFAB @ Oct 11 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Oct 11 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would electrical cleaner (MAF cleaner) work on this?

Or better yet since it's metal can I just use brake cleaner?[/b]
I just dropped the entire thing in brake clean. Mine is still working great
[/b][/quote]
Works for me. Thanks. :icon_thumright:

That sucker is a PITA to get out might I add. :icon_lol:

Looks quite clean though so that's a good sign.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TRUENOFAB @ Oct 17 2008, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did you get the oil screen out?? What'd you use to remove it. If i remember I used some small 90 degree needlenose. That was a major pita.[/b]
Mine actually popped right out with the plug. Getting to the plug was a PITA though, getting those bolts out of the mount sucks big time.

I didn't notice any difference in the car and I don't think mine had a spec of dirt on it. So I think I'm not going to bother ever doing it again for a long long time. I have over 70k on my car right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts