MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oil level read with AS Oil cooler

I installed some months ago the AS oil cooler.

I'm near to an oil change and I have a few questions.

* When I drain the used oil out of the engine, the thermostatic sandwich will be closed and some oil will stay in the cooler?

* How I should read the dipstick to check the level is at max? With the car cold or hot? because I suppose that with the engine cold, the oil from the cooler will go down to the oil pan. And what level I have to expect?

Sorry for me ugly english and best regards.

Domenec.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The thermostatic sandwich plate should still drain the oil, its only when the oil gets hot that it closes to redirect the oil through the cooler otherwise it runs as normal....

So I guess dont do the oil change when the car is hot..

·
Registered
564 Posts
As stated above, let the oil cool down from hot to warm before changing. The thermostat closes below 180 degrees F. The cooler holds about 1/2 quart (US) of extra oil, so refill accordingly.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil cooker? I have an oil cooler. Good question, though.
You never heard of an oil cooker? Looks like this:

:p

sorry for the mistype (auburn). I don't want to make a joke with the cooler. It works very well.

And regarding the second question. I suppose with the 1/2 quart (US) of extra oil, the dipstick should mark over the max. mark when the oil is cold and all the oil from the oil cooler flows trough the sandwich to the oil pan.

But... how much over the max. mark???

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Just fill her up. Drive for a while, untill the engine is hot. The oil will flow through the cooler. Park it. Check level next morning.

·
Registered
870 Posts
same as normal
to the max line, not over....

oil only flows through the cooler when hot

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just changed oil and filter and filled just to max. mark level with Castrol Edge 5w30.

Also changed the transaxle fluid with the redline MT90 and i have to say that I don't like this fluid..... seems harder to downshift compared with the OEM Toyota 75w90.

Many thanks for your replys and best regards from Spain...

Domenec.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Also changed the transaxle fluid with the redline MT90 and i have to say that I don't like this fluid..... seems harder to downshift compared with the OEM Toyota 75w90.
Amsoil was recommended to me over MT-90, maybe give that a try.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
how many quarts of transmission fluid did you need?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My transaxle is the 5 spd euro version with LSD and I used 1.9 quarts aprox.... just as specified in the BGB.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My transaxle is the 5 spd euro version with LSD and I used 1.9 quarts aprox.... just as specified in the BGB.
Let me know if you try something else. I put in Redline and didnt notice a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts