MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the process of doing my clutch and rear main so figured while I'm at it I'd take care of the tiny oil pan leak. O'Riley had a gasket when I ordered the rear main so I got it but as I'm pulling the bolts I find rtv or semi hardening sealant on it so decided to read up and everyone is saying no gasket just rtv. But I've got the gasket be it cork 😖 I'm wondering if I should just say screw the gasket an run rtv or run the gasket with rtv. I'm at a stand still so any input would be tremendous!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Use rtv, DONT use the cork gasket. And go easy on the rtv. It doesn’t take much to seal the pan… but too much and you run the risk of having the extra that inevitably ends up in the oil end up clogging your oil pump pickup. here’s a pic of what that looks like, taken when I first bought my mr2 and noticed the previous owner got overzealous with the rtv. Scrape all the old rtv off and clean off any extra leftover rtv after that with a wire brush. Then clean out the oil pan in the sink or garden hose. Use a clean rag and brake clean to clean the area where the rtv will sit on the oil pan and engine block. The rtv won’t stick well and seal if it’s covered in oil.
Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Automotive tire Rim

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Toyota used rtv so I use rtv. I do let the oil drip for a long time and clean all sealing surfaces. Zero oil should be on any mating surface.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Use Toyota FIPG and toss the gasket.
Don't use Permatex Ultra Black or any of those other RTV alternatives. If the pan ever has to come off again with Permatex, that stuff really sticks and makes it impossible to remove the pan without damaging it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Use Toyota FIPG and toss the gasket.
Don't use Permatex Ultra Black or any of those other RTV alternatives. If the pan ever has to come off again with Permatex, that stuff really sticks and makes it impossible to remove the pan without damaging it.
I have had 100% success with using Permatex/Loctite Ultra-Gray in place of Toyota FIPG. It seems to be identical.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts