MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the forum here. Anyways, I recently installed a Momo Trek R steering wheel and i was wondering if any if you guys can provide me a step by step for reinstalling the horn. I searched the forum and the closest thing i could find provided a step by step but all the pictures were deleted (inactive photobucket i guess?) Well anyways any help would be great. Thanks again.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
It's one of the perks of not having an airbag. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ok, since everyone wants to be funny today, I will help you out. I will give you step by step directions on how to get your horn back.

1. remove the aftermarket steering wheel

2. throw it in the trash

3. Reinstall factory steering wheel.

4 Be happy that you can go beep beep.

5. Have peace of mind that in a small car, you have every bit of safety equipment installed.

Yay!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
just grab one of these

once again, thanks T-bone....now you owe me a Fresca and a new monitor. (the milk I have spitteth in the past has been much less caustic)

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Hey guys im new to the forum here. Anyways, I recently installed a Momo Trek R steering wheel and i was wondering if any if you guys can provide me a step by step for reinstalling the horn. I searched the forum and the closest thing i could find provided a step by step but all the pictures were deleted (inactive photobucket i guess?) Well anyways any help would be great. Thanks again.
Why did you remove the horn to install a steering wheel? The horn is behind the front bumper.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Lol. This COULD be a trend thread. Next we will see:

I need my wipers back...
I need my seatbelts back...
I need my (replace with other silly things removed)...

·
Registered
362 Posts
first of all does your wheel come with a horn button. There should be 2 or 3 connector on the button. Ones a ground, and ones a positive. Find and splice the 2 wire of the horn connector into your aftermarket horn button.

Not as clear but in a nutshell. Its essentially a button that provide power to your horn. You can also tap into a ground and a constant power supply but that would be more work. Sorry no picture cause Ive installed mines years ago.

Trial and error.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
first of all does your wheel come with a horn button. There should be 2 or 3 connector on the button. Ones a ground, and ones a positive. Find and splice the 2 wire of the horn connector into your aftermarket horn button.

Not as clear but in a nutshell. Its essentially a button that provide power to your horn. You can also tap into a ground and a constant power supply but that would be more work. Sorry no picture cause Ive installed mines years ago.

Trial and error.
Thanks man, mine comes with two connectors. ill just try to locate the 2 horn wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, since everyone wants to be funny today, I will help you out. I will give you step by step directions on how to get your horn back.

1. remove the aftermarket steering wheel

2. throw it in the trash

3. Reinstall factory steering wheel.

4 Be happy that you can go beep beep.

5. Have peace of mind that in a small car, you have every bit of safety equipment installed.

Yay!

YAY!!! now I can remove the air horn i duct taped to my rear view mirror!!! Or should i keep it? I swear to god it felt like i got a 20+ horsepower increase with it!

·
Registered
371 Posts
After one major wreck in a Spyder, with the airbag saving me some major injury, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to replace the stock wheel and have no airbag on a street driven car.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Lol. This COULD be a trend thread. Next we will see:

I need my wipers back...
I need my seatbelts back...
I need my (replace with other silly things removed)...
Help I need step by step instructions yesterday I uninstalled my rear wheel and now it won't turn :) this might fit the bill lol

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I haven't torn apart my steering wheel so this is just theory: Your horn is activated by grounding a hot wire that goes to the steering wheel. That's why there's only one wire. If there were a wire that went into the steering wheel, it would get all twisted up. There's something called a "clock spring" that installs around the steering wheel hub. It is a continuous wire (or set of wires) that are wound up like a clock spring. The spring can wind and unwind to accommodate all the rotation of the steering wheel.

When you install an aftermarket steering wheel, the hub adapters may remove the "clock spring". If that's the case, you'll have to be happy with a horn button mounted on your dashboard. If your clock spring mechanism is intact, you should be able to attach an aftermarket horn button to the original horn connector coming out of the clock spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts