MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't get the rear caliper to retract after removal for a brake job ( on the bench top)
I never had this problem on all the other cars I've owned only this one
Can't get it to budge using a clamp and don't want to force it for fear of damaging it
So can anyone offer a little advise
Thanks you all for your kind support
This is a great community
Don

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
You will need a special tool to rotate the piston clockwise.

Something like this.

Make sure you check the BGB or forum next time so you don't end up ruining parts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think you need a special tool to turn it to get it to retract. If I remember correctly it looks like a cube.

http://www.bestsourceautoparts.com/partsCatalog/geturl/quote/year/2000/make/TO/model/MR2--005/category/6C102/product/*6C102/part/Disc+Brake+Piston+Tool/pageFrom/catalog

I am not recommending that seller, I just needed a fast pic. I believe it allows you to turn the piston while compressing so it will seat properly and not be damaged.

That's just what I have picked up, I haven't done the job myself yet.

Hahah, Dev beat me to it :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys
Thats one tool not in by tool box
maybe O' reileys has one I can buy or use/rent

·
Registered
654 Posts
I had the same problem on a Saabs rear brakes from 1989 . But there was a hole at the back for a insex key and with that turning the caliper back. When the emergency brake is working on the same caliper as the rear brakes it is like this with the caliper turning when the pads wears and has to be turned back when replacing the pads. And why is for the emergency brake to always work optimal.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Thanks Guys
Thats one tool not in by tool box
maybe O' reileys has one I can buy or use/rent
I had the same exact problem. Autozone and Advanceauto has something called "master brake tool kit" for rent, and that worked for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
I would avoid the cube. You have to push the piston in while you turn. The cube is hard to keep on the piston and can be tough to turn.

I like to use this tool.

Harbor and Freight sells it for $40. It pushes the piston in while turning it.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I would avoid the cube. You have to push the piston in while you turn. The cube is hard to keep on the piston and can be tough to turn.

I like to use this tool.

Harbor and Freight sells it for $40. It pushes the piston in while turning it.
Yes that.
You can just rent it in Autozone or Advanceauto for free.
Or if you like garnishing your garage with another tool kit, you can just pay 40 to own one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts