MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on replacement cat pipes...OEM ($1200 hahaha) vs PPE 210005.225C ($485) vs Magnaflow 24065 (seeing this one for $337 today). I can use a 49-state heavy-metal cat - don't need CA - and will retain the stock catback. Will be going on a heart-transplant JDM 1ZZ.
Any test results that document the difference between the OEM and "high-flow" aftermarket cats? Any fitment issues? Experiences/tips re switching to single sensor? What am I forgetting?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I am guessing you are talking about two things at once:
- Header (exhaust manifold).
- Down-pipe (cat).

OEM exhaust manifold has two pre-cats and two o2 sensors.
OEM down-pipe has the main cat and one o2 sensor.
You can find 100+ threads on these parts and their 3rd party alternatives.

I suggest:
- Start some keyword searches. Click on Advanced Search and search Titles Only.
- Stick with what you have. Save your money because there is little to be gained here except private time in the garage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am guessing you are talking about two things at once:
- Header (exhaust manifold)
- Down-pipe (cat)

OEM exhaust manifold has two pre-cats and two o2 sensors.
OEM down-pipe has the main cat and one o2 sensor.
You can find 100+ threads on these parts and their 3rd party alternatives.
Go take a look and come back with specific questions.

Good luck.
My query refers to the mid-pipe/cat-pipe with the main cat and one sensor. Not the manifold w pre-cats.
Specifically, I'm looking for input on the two aftermarket products I mentioned, vs the costly OEM part. I also understand there is a product from the UK supplier www.cats2u.co.uk (p/n 91053-3772) that runs about $370 incl US shipping.
Any knowledge based on experience with these products would be welcome.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
I only have experience with the the PPE and stock. Nothing to do with the PPE. Its a direct bolt on to the stock setup. The two 02 sensors only comes into play if you switch to the PPE header. There would be only one 02 sensor on the cat for the post cat sensor. If you decide to go with the PPE I have a new one for sale.

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...Flow-Cat-for-stock-1zz-or-2zz-LR-swap-headers

Here is a pic of the sensor location.

·
Registered
782 Posts
A little off topic but is there any difference between the 1ZZ and JDM 1ZZ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little off topic but is there any difference between the 1ZZ and JDM 1ZZ?
Physically the same plant, but I expect the ECU programming would be somewhat different for a JDM 1ZZ mated to the JDM-specific 6-speed MT. Or maybe not, since I understand the JDM 6-speed is essentially a US-spec 5-speed with a tall 6th gear added. The next question is: If a US and JDM car were identically equipped, was the ECU program different? I would like to know if anyone has this info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.