MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a Spyder to buy for about a month now. Nothing has really popped up that has really made me want to pull the trigger. I guess mainly because im not 100% sure in the route i want to go. My basic goals are to have a *clean* 2zz/turbo'd wide body spyder..........Not Ricy!

Do i buy the following and why:
1. Clean low mileage stock 03+
2. *Cheap* Spyder with high mileage (maybe with issues) and do all the work
3. Be patient and find a built Spyder with 2zz/turbo already done.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If you intend to put a body kit on it, the condition of the existing body panels is irrelevant.
If you intend to install a 2zz, the condition of the current engine is irrelevant.
It will be a long time before you find a 2zz swaped Spyder.

Your dreams are going to cost you, so
2. *Cheap* Spyder with high mileage (maybe with issues) and do all the work
This, with the possible exception of the "issues" other than high mileage, depending on what they are. Replacing interior, suspension and/or trim parts can add up.

To me optimum would be a cosmetically nice car (of any year if you're swapping right away) or an 03 and up if you're going to 1ZZ it for a while.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Option 2 is the way im leaning just because i think it might be a year or more if i wait around for option 3, and will still have work to do to make it what i want.......

The only hesitation i have with 2, is the costs that add up. In the past i went this route, purchased a 93 mk2 NA, swapped in a 3sgte, then swapped in a fully built 3sgte. Lots of time, effort, and money went in to that car. But i think in the end i appreciated it more and was exactly what i wanted.

Ive read the used buyers guide, but is there any other recommendations you guys would have (based on my situation)? My ideal situation i guess would be to find a clean one with a blown engine, that would be awesome :lol:!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'd personally go with a low mileage, unmolested 03+, even if the up front costs are greater (many on SC know what they're doing in terms of 2ZZ swaps and the like, but some people aren't as savvy with engine or suspension upgrades, and that can leave you in for a big headache, such as if you have a CEL or suspension issues with aftermarket parts). I'm sure you'd rather drive it than repair it to the point of it being usable to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn't that kind of far for a car in not so great running condition? The price is right, for sure, but isn't that 3,000 miles from you?
Google maps says 2894 miles away :cool:

Was more stating this as a type of option if i found one in CA. Or unless hes willing to ship it on the cheap.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Never start with a crappy car. Even if you are going to mod it.

If you are going to do a 2zz turbo I would try and find an +04 with LSD 5-speed. That way you can keep the 5-speed LSD to with a turbo engine. You can also sell the +04 1zz for a premium over a higher mileage pre 03 1zz.

The other smarter option would be to just buy an already swapped 2zz spyder. This will save a lot of time and money. There is nice 2zz black spyder for sale in the classified section. All you would need is to do the body work.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2546945688.html

Saw this posted today in the Sacramento CraigsList. Anyone have any thoughts on it? Worried about the salvage title, just got in contact with the seller to ask about it.
Looks very good for the price, but is it too good to be true? Why was it salvaged if there was only minor damage and why is it being sold if it's so great? Also, the paint on the body kit and the car itself don't match exactly. Just questions to be asked and caveat emptor!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks very good for the price, but is it too good to be true? Why was it salvaged if there was only minor damage and why is it being sold if it's so great? Also, the paint on the body kit and the car itself don't match exactly. Just questions to be asked and caveat emptor!
Yeah the kit looks to be a shade lighter. Also it looks like there is a decent gap in between the hood and front bumper. Need to get the vin and run it for sure.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts