MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search feature, didn’t find much in the noise that helped.

My steering wheel is all sun damaged and I’m looking to replace it. I looked into aftermarket, however I would really like to keep the airbag, mainly because driving in Florida is “sporty”. with all the raised pickups with under lighting (because we have so much ... snow? And we need to see your brake calipers all lit up with 6.4K lumen leds on a truck that obviously has NEVER seen dirt. Don’t me we wrong, I appreciate a $30k suspension kit like any other guy, but for a daily driver? Really?) or the daily migration of the glaucoma hindered medicated silverbacks to the local discount buffet/dollar store driving 15 mph below the speed limit in the left lanes, or agro’d florida man/woman, jacked up on {insert drug of choice here} raging through traffic... it’s prudent to try to keep safety features.

Would something from another Toyota fit? Like a Hilux?

GENUINE TOYOTA HILUX REVO 2015 BUILD STEERING WHEEL BLACK CARBON TRD RED THREAD https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231831191204

·
Registered
881 Posts
Damn, that's expensive, plus it has a whole bunch of extra switches and wiring that won't be used.

There are lots of steering wheels that will fit the steering shaft but you may have to modify, or determine, the correct contacts for the airbag clock spring connection.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
It could be an expensive way to find out.
The easy way is to get a good used replacement and be done with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is expensive, but for the right answer it may be worth it.

Being an engineer, switches are things that are fun to repurpose. Was thinking of tying them into an aftermarket radio. I have a Scion radio now, but have been pondering rolling my own tablet radio/car pc.
Like a Tesla interface. Why?... because why not. It’s all learning and fun. Theft is the big thing stopping me.

Unfortunately $800 is used, and none of those will be in the florida junk yards.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Another option if you can take the Spyder off the road for a little while...get your existing wheel recovered. I used http://www.leatherwheels.com and the work was excellent. I had my thumbrests shaved and perforated leather on the sides and solid on the top and bottom in black with tan stitch. If you can’t take it off the road, then getting a good OEM used wheel would be the way to go.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
It is expensive, but for the right answer it may be worth it.

Being an engineer, switches are things that are fun to repurpose. Was thinking of tying them into an aftermarket radio. I have a Scion radio now, but have been pondering rolling my own tablet radio/car pc.
Like a Tesla interface. Why?... because why not. It’s all learning and fun. Theft is the big thing stopping me.

The best way to do this is to get a tablet that can do LDAC bluetooth. Then on your amp side get an amp that decodes LDAC or a dedicated LDAC receiver into the amp.
You would essentially have a better connection with audiophile decoding chips for improved SQ.

I have done the carputer thing and it was fun until it just got in the way of driving. I don't even look at the tach anymore.
The best radio to have is one where the knobs and switches are big enough that you can do what you need without looking. Unfortunately they don't make headhunts like this anymore.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another option if you can take the Spyder off the road for a little while...get your existing wheel recovered. I used https://www.leatherwheels.com and the work was excellent. I had my thumbrests shaved and perforated leather on the sides and solid on the top and bottom in black with tan stitch. If you can’t take it off the road, then getting a good OEM used wheel would be the way to go.
That’s a good idea too, I’ll consider it was well. Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best way to do this is to get a tablet that can do LDAC bluetooth. Then on your amp side get an amp that decodes LDAC or a dedicated LDAC receiver into the amp.
You would essentially have a better connection with audiophile decoding chips for improved SQ.

I have done the carputer thing and it was fun until it just got in the way of driving. I don't even look at the tach anymore.
The best radio to have is one where the knobs and switches are big enough that you can do what you need without looking. Unfortunately they don't make headhunts like this anymore.
I hear you on the danger. There was a time when I had to tell myself that responding to email via a 7” touchscreen driving down Colorado roads was stupid. It could wait.

The raspberry pi carPc is neat, and uses way less power than the core duo I had 10 years ago.
It looks like the HVAC controls can be moved back into the dash and either stepper motors, rheostat or something else can be used to “turn the dials”. Then a full sized tablet would fit nicely with a T frame bezel .

I thought I saw an open source car controlling interface somewhere ... opencar something

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I tried the search feature, didn’t find much in the noise that helped.

My steering wheel is all sun damaged and I’m looking to replace it. I looked into aftermarket, however I would really like to keep the airbag, mainly because driving in Florida is “sporty”. with all the raised pickups with under lighting (because we have so much ... snow? And we need to see your brake calipers all lit up with 6.4K lumen leds on a truck that obviously has NEVER seen dirt. Don’t me we wrong, I appreciate a $30k suspension kit like any other guy, but for a daily driver? Really?) or the daily migration of the glaucoma hindered medicated silverbacks to the local discount buffet/dollar store driving 15 mph below the speed limit in the left lanes, or agro’d florida man/woman, jacked up on {insert drug of choice here} raging through traffic... it’s prudent to try to keep safety features.

"We need to see your brake calipers all lit up with 6.4K lumen leds" lmao all of this was overly accurate, and I think one of my lungs just collapsed.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I believe the 'S' trim of similar model years Corolla and Vibe/Matrix have the same wheel, along with the Celica GTS. If that helps?

I had these guys recover the steering wheel for my old Supra and was very happy with the results, but even a basic wheel will be around $300 USD plus shipping.

http://www.craftcustoms.com/

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the 'S' trim of similar model years Corolla and Vibe/Matrix have the same wheel, along with the Celica GTS. If that helps?

I had these guys recover the steering wheel for my old Supra and was very happy with the results, but even a basic wheel will be around $300 USD plus shipping.

https://www.craftcustoms.com/
That’s about the best that I was able to find the search feature. It is helpful, but does not include what I was hoping for. Was hoping someone more educated than me would have the knowledge that yeah, all Toyota’s have the same diameter and tooth count for steering shafts.
I know they reuse parts all over and if the years were closer, the probability would be higher for a match.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
We tried to put a flat bottom 2011 Matrix S steering wheel into a 1st gen Matrix. No go, splines are different and mounting is off.

That said, the 02-08 matrix,7gen celica, 3rd gen mr2 all used the same steering wheel along with the echo of the same year. My buddy has a matrix steering wheel swapped into his mk4 Supra as well so it must be the same.

You would need to also change the clock spring in the column to facilitate for the steering wheel controls. Also it should be noted that companies overseas won’t ship the airbag with the steering wheel, which creates more issues. Most companies only sell the wheel and not the airbag as well which will raise the price considerably.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For what it’s worth, the Lexus
ES300,330
GS300,400,430
IS200,300

All look like they have the same internal airbag setup, mounting holes and wiring.
Even the backs look the same.

Even the airbag shape looks the same

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Ive actually been pondering the same thing but rather than another toyota wheel, how about a smaller OE wheel from another brand? Someone posted up on FB that the lotus wheel was slightly smaller. My main concern is would the airbag work even if wired correctly? Are all airbag exploding voltages the same? Or does it even have to be the same?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had NO issues with my steering wheel, but decided to use a WheelSkins cover to improve the feel and grip. It was reasonably priced, looks and feels great and I no longer get a tingly feeling in my hands after an hour behind the wheel - great improvement.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would love to find a good replacement wheel with the airbag. What about using the wheel from the FRS/BRZ?

I know some aftermarket wheel companies (Momo) make wheels that have airbags...so, maybe finding out what the number of splines and diameter of the wheel shaft is needed. I've never replaced a steering wheel, but I'd like a better airbag option than what we have.

As another alternative, has anyone ever taken the leather cover off the stock wheel and reshaped it, like flatten the bottom or make the thumb area bigger?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
How will you get the buttons to work without a clock spring with the proper connections? Will also need a new clock spring.

I had mine mildly reshaped.
Quit tootin' your own lack of a horn :)

My steering wheel is so musty that I wear batting gloves when I drive now. I can't work and shake hands with people smelling like rusted metal. Yes, I've forced employees to smell my hands to make sure I'm not crazy. Pretty sure that constitutes sexual harassment in 2050.

I would pay up $$$ for good PnP Toyota/Lexus racing wheel with airbags. It's the one thing I do not want to hack together...

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I got my car with a melty wheel, every time I'd drive it my hands would have leathergoo all over them. Hey free gloves I guess. Got a used wheel in better condition, and eventually got this one done. Slightly beefier, mild flat bottom, and racing stripe because RACECAR. Airbag fits fine, I can toot my own horn freely, I like it. Do wish it had buttons though. Maybe SMT wheel and clockspring and repurpose those pins for volume and track?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts