MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I got my car with a melty wheel, every time I'd drive it my hands would have leathergoo all over them. Hey free gloves I guess. Got a used wheel in better condition, and eventually got this one done. Slightly beefier, mild flat bottom, and racing stripe because RACECAR. Airbag fits fine, I can toot my own horn freely, I like it. Do wish it had buttons though. Maybe SMT wheel and clockspring and repurpose those pins for volume and track?
Where did you get it done?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Redline Goods
Would you mind posting up a little more detail? Cost, and how long it took for them to build & ship? I see they charge $129 to recover one...but no mention of flattening the bottom. A cover kit is pretty cheap, so not sure if $129 is a good deal or not. If that included flattening the bottom, maybe it is. ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Would you mind posting up a little more detail? Cost, and how long it took for them to build & ship? I see they charge $129 to recover one...but no mention of flattening the bottom. A cover kit is pretty cheap, so not sure if $129 is a good deal or not. If that included flattening the bottom, maybe it is. ?
Ditto

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't have the standard "customer" experience so I can't give further detail. They bought a used wheel and recovered it and sent it to me, no core. It was so long ago I don't remember how long it took. I specified a gentle flat bottom so they made it smaller than they usually do.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
From what I understand, the bottom of the wheel can be reshaped. The material is not metal but I would assume some kind of plastic. When I had my Spyder wheel redone, the company/individual who did it had a little trouble with it at the thumbrests. I actually preferred having these removed / shaved and do to this day. They weren’t on my 300ZX wheel from the factory, so I’m used to a fully round wheel without the thumb rests, so now, neither wheel has them. I had the wheels padded as well, so they both have a decent fat grip to them. Wheelskins do work and I used them years ago, but it’s not as ‘factory’ as getting the existing wheel covered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No air bag but, if you get run over by a lifted truck I doubt your head hitting the steering wheel will matter much. I rather recommend upgrading the horns and brake lights.

Works Hub + Nardi Deep Corn 330mm

20180912_155745.jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't mind being the DIY guinea pig, but I think I'm going to try the Redline Goods kit and recover my steering wheel myself. Their patterns look like OEM, which is better than the universal patterns I've seen everywhere else. Paying $120 for the kit vs. $250 for a refinished wheel is significant for me. :)

I'll post a follow up after I'm done!

Edit - Redline Goods had a 10% discount code...total was $107!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Im also one of those who look for a preferably Toyota steering wheel to swap for the original. What Im going for is smaller diameter and fatter (if thats a word) grip

Did any made anything to fit ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Man, I forgot all about this thread...I meant to update it with my DIY steering wheel cover from Redlinegoods.

Here's the take-away - Be careful when you order...the website isn't very clear about color choices and if you order anything except black/black you may get backwards colors or texture like I did. I selected perforated leather for the sides, like a typical racing wheel, and they had the perforated section on the top and bottom. Oops! They replaced it for free, except for the shipping charges.

The outcome of stitching it myself - turned out really good. Took a few hours to get the hang of it. I re-did one section because it had a loose string in the middle where I miscalculated the length and had to adjust.

All in all, it's way cheaper than buying the whole wheel replaced...but you'll invest several hours of stitching. Not 10-hours, like they claim, but still likely around 4 - 5 hours.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
16 Participants
lostpilot28
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing