MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I was driving my MR-S home when I noticed white smoke coming out of the engine bay and out of the intake vent on the driver side. The temp gauge was showing the car was over heating. I pulled over to the side and popped the engine bay cover open. There was some liquid, what I'm assuming is the coolant, sprayed all over the engine bay. The coolant reservoir had hot steaming air coming out of it but showed no signs of visible cracks. The coolant level was low as well.

I would appreciate any advice on what the possible problem is.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I would fill the coolant system bleeding it as per book. Then pressure test the coolant system to check for leaks and do a compression or leak down test on the engine cylinders. Over heating aluminum engines can cause a headgasket failure.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would check coolant lines first. Sounds very much like one of those rubber coolant hoses went Ka-boom. (I had this happen on my dinan before)

·
Registered
750 Posts
+1 on the fill & pressure check, it's a more efficient method than trying to trace all of the coolant hoses & their connections IMHO

·
Registered
305 Posts
+1 on the fill & pressure check, it's a more efficient method than trying to trace all of the coolant hoses & their connections IMHO
Probably right, since bmw v8s have their cooling hoses right "inyoface", while spyder has them in between engine a d gas tank.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
A coolant leak can be anywhere between the front of the radiator to the waterpump, any of the hoses/pipes in between or on the engine itself, including the headgasket. Last fall I noticed coolant on the rad. The rad was corroding away so a one was installed. At up to 20 years old and some number of miles a leak could be anywhere, hopefully not the heater core.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
A head gasket failure can result in combustion gasses getting into the cooling system under pressure. This will cause the reservoir pressure cap to blow off steam, just like an overheat condition. The other kind of head gasket failure is one allowing coolant to leak into 1 or more cylinders. This will be seen as billowy white smoke coming out of your tailpipe. You will eventually overheat when you run low on coolant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for your advice, However I found out my serpentine belt broke and need to get that replaced as well. Fingers crossed nothing else is broken.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
That would do it. I replace the belt at 100k even if it passes inspection. Hopefully all is well. Fill and bleed per the book and keep an eye on the level for a while if you don't check for leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts