MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Unfortunately, I happened to get a faulty head unit and I had to swap it for a new Oxygen head unit. The new unit wouldn't even see or power my phone. I returned the Oxygen for a full refund and purchase a Kenwood KIV-BT901 instead. The Kenwood works great! It's sad to see the Oxygen unit not work out. It was a great idea.

I've been getting inquires about my head unit.

It's made by Oxygen Audio and it's basically a slave to your iPhone. O-Car is it's official name (I think)... It's confusing...

AM, FM, Your digital music library, Pandora, GPS (from your iPhone), Charging Cradle, e-mail, Video outs... 50 Watts x 4..... Sub outs... Bluetooth Phone, etc.,

It would be more ideal if the cradle popped out a bit more. But our Spyders have a Heating / AC controller that protrudes just above the double-din slot and it gets in the way of tilting the phone back much. The cradle will sit flush with the unit or pop out and rotate depending on your needs. E-mails, phone, and song list work better vertically (in my opinion) and GPS... AM FM radio works better horizontally.

I really wanted a unit that wouldn't distract me much. I wanted GPS... but, not at the expense of looking down all the time (and crashing into some bicyclist that rides out of his lane).

I looked at the new APP Radio by Pioneer... it's really nice... and maybe the bugs are worked out by now... but, I still have to look down at it and it's $500

The O2 was around $300 ( you can get it for less)... and it has video outs. So in the future... I can put a 7" screen up on the dash (probably under the cubby but not with the Nav Pod... something creatively better). Then I can see my GPS and phone near my line of site while I'm driving. (And the cyclist lives).

The AM FM apps are a bit buggy... but, do work if you figure it out.

The sound is excellent. (I have replaced all of my stock speakers and added subs and rear fills)

When you leave your car and don't want to put your top up... and you take your phone with you. It's an empty cradle on your stereo face. Not so inviting to thieves.

Here's what it looks like

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
How do you mean?
The texting and driving phone laws in CA. If a cop see you looking down at a "phone" they can pull you over and give you a hard time. I'm not sure if they have that in Oregon.

Regardless, nice mod - it's nice to not have to worry about faceplate theft, an not have to carry around a useless faceplate either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The texting and driving phone laws in CA. If a cop see you looking down at a "phone" they can pull you over and give you a hard time. I'm not sure if they have that in Oregon.

Regardless, nice mod - it's nice to not have to worry about faceplate theft, an not have to carry around a useless faceplate either.
Ah, yes. Oregon law prohibits you from holding the phone while talking (and texting).

I suppose in Cali you could argue that you're looking down at your radio... not your phone.

I mounted my microphone in the tach well where it's somewhat shielded from the wind. I can talk on the phone up to about 50 MPH (hands free)... then it get's to hard for them to understand me above that.

I can also have my phone text for me (if I really need to).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too bad the iphone screen is so small. :lol:

This is a great idea though.
I agree. That's why I'm doing a 7" screen up in the dash cubby. The video out of the unit duplicates what's on your phone screen... or you can have a separate input. It's on my list... one of these days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice solutions and looks great , I was just looking at the pioneer 8400bh but at 5 hundo I hesitate because I have other mods as priority.

Is this available for android phones as well?

NM Googled it. Still it's a nice solution.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Nice solutions and looks great , I was just looking at the pioneer 8400bh but at 5 hundo I hesitate because I have other mods as priority.

NM Googled it. Still it's a nice solution.
I like it as well. I'm still old school, running both a HU and separate GPS when I need it.

By the way regarding the Pioneer unit, it's generally available for $189

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I believe it's just for the iPhone... But, I could be wrong. http://www.oxygenaudio.com/
Very nice, and secondly, about the console, where, how much, carbon fiber rails, etc? I like the look.
Thank you Rtrider. Check this post out regarding the center console: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?52585-New-Center-Console-Rainy-Day-Install

I like it as well. I'm still old school, running both a HU and separate GPS when I need it.
Thanks Erdoc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.