MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost the power steering in my 01 `Spyder last week. When I turn the key to On, I hear some abnormal clicking coming from the frunk area, and when I start the car, the P/S light stays on but I have power steering for a couple seconds before it stiffens up. So, I'm not sure if it's really a hard failure of the pump or if there are some electrical gremlins causing problems.

I know some other ehps systems allow you to read the fault codes to diagnose the problem. Not sure if Spyders are one of them.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Lost the power steering in my 01 `Spyder last week. When I turn the key to On, I hear some abnormal clicking coming from the frunk area, and when I start the car, the P/S light stays on but I have power steering for a couple seconds before it stiffens up. So, I'm not sure if it's really a hard failure of the pump or if there are some electrical gremlins causing problems.

I know some other ehps systems allow you to read the fault codes to diagnose the problem. Not sure if Spyders are one of them.
There are PS fault codes. But you need a Techstream (Toyota) scanner to read 'em.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if it could be something as simple as a bad relay. I guess it is worth noting that the P/S light came on the same day I had a new aftermarket stereo + SiriusXM installed...Could that be affecting the electrical current?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems unlikely that the two would be related, but it depends upon exactly how the new stereo was wired. If only the existing radio wires were used, it shouldn't effect the P/S.
True, I already had an aftermarket stereo in there for years. This was just a swap out so probably just coincidence.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
An electrical problem in the head unit sure could cause the PS to malfunction. For instance, it could be drawing too much power. If this problem is still there (I can't tell from your post), I would disconnect the head unit. Are there any other problems - like does the engine start?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An electrical problem in the head unit sure could cause the PS to malfunction. For instance, it could be drawing too much power. If this problem is still there (I can't tell from your post), I would disconnect the head unit. Are there any other problems - like does the engine start?
Yes, problem is still there. I've tried it with the headunit turned off, but it made no difference.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
?
Please elaborate.
My wiring diagrams show both circuits to be mutually independant.
Much more likely that any relationship between the HU install and the PS problem was an installer issue -- messing with wires in the vicinity of the PS ECU. Was there an antenna run for the Sirius unit?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Much more likely that any relationship between the HU install and the PS problem was an installer issue -- messing with wires in the vicinity of the PS ECU. Was there an antenna run for the Sirius unit?
Where does the P/S ecu reside? I just took a quick look behind the radio and saw this clip dangling. I don't recall ever seeing it hanging before, not sure what it is...kind of hoping it's a power wire for the P/S ecu, easy fix! There's just a single wire coming out of it...white with a green stripe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does EPHS relay normally click when energized? Reason I ask is that when I pull the relay, I hear the same amount of clicks coming from the box that I do when the relay is in. I know I'm probably grasping at straws here...

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
Yeah, I would disconnect the head unit altogether. You had a different aftermarket head unit before, so can I assume they just plugged it into a harness adapter that someone else installed or did they cut and solder wires?

Yup - that other connector is for illumination of the OEM head unit and should be left alone.

The P/S needs a certain amount of voltage from the battery to pass tests that are done when you turn the key on. I was thinking that the battery might have been drained some by a faulty head unit -- or a bad install of same. Maybe they just left the key on for a long time without running the engine. You never know. I think it is somehow related to the install. Murphy's Law. Last thing touched. That's why I asked if the car starts/runs.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Could be coincidence, but white with green figures prominently in the PS circuit:

Where does the P/S ecu reside? I just took a quick look behind the radio and saw this clip dangling. I don't recall ever seeing it hanging before, not sure what it is...kind of hoping it's a power wire for the P/S ecu, easy fix! There's just a single wire coming out of it...white with a green stripe.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
White with green stripe wire is an output of the instrument cluster going to everything in the dash area that has variable illumination. It wouldn't go to the PS. (Just a coincidence.) I think it is on a separate connector all by its lonesome because aftermarket head units wouldn't use that.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
I had a new aftermarket stereo + SiriusXM installed
The first time I read that, I thought you meant that it was a new aftermarket stereo (like you had an aftermarket stereo before and this is a newer one), but it could be that you replaced OEM with aftermarket. So maybe they cut and soldered wires, somehow botching the wiring. There are adapters so you don't have to cut any wires. There are two different types of head units, so there are two different types of adapters. For the '03 model year Toyota changed the head unit. Yours is the older kind.

·
Registered
578 Posts
?
Please elaborate.
My wiring diagrams show both circuits to be mutually independant.
Different circuits and fuses, but still sourced from the same battery/alternator, so not at all independent.
Too much draw one one circuit could reduce available voltage/current on all circuits.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts