MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general order for things to check when getting this error?

I had just bought this car and one of the precats was missing so I'm fearing the worst... Has anyone saved the motor after noticing this? What are the tell tell signs that your in trouble/etc...

I installed a new header and cat delete since I thought that I read that once a precat is gone you'll need a new cat anyway. On my list of things to buy is a universal cat and have the exhaust shop that I go to install it. In the mean time I have a CEL fixer for the o2 sensor.

On a side note where is the best place to get a motor if this one goes? (how long till they go after a precat failure?)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Keep a close eye on the oil level. I mean check it every time that you drive it. Typical pre-cat failure syndrome causes oil consumption in the 300 mile / qt. range. Owners don't monitor it closely enough, run the engine out of oil and are stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep a close eye on the oil level. I mean check it every time that you drive it. Typical pre-cat failure syndrome causes oil consumption in the 300 mile / qt. range. Owners don't monitor it closely enough, run the engine out of oil and are stranded on the side of the road.
While I'm in no way saying not to do it... but does the oil light on the dash not function like I'd expect it to as in light up when the oil is getting dangerously low?

Also any info on thing to check in regards to the CEL?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The oil light comes on when the oil pressure is almost zero. It is not an indication of how much oil is in the engine. If it comes on (or flickers) while the engine is running, it usually means your engine has been destroyed (or severly damaged) due to oil starvation.
NOTE to all Spyder Owners, Past Present and Future..

The Oil lite is the, 'Change Engine' Lite...

Cap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts