MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took the MRS to the willow springs, in the middle of the track, she heard loud knocking like a motorcycle chopper......don't know what was happening....we still had to drive 100 miles back....

ran obd ii on it and P0300, P0301, P0302

checked the coils....it was broken, warped....plastic part was gone, metal parts are shatter into pieces into the spark plug hole.....also the spark plug wasn't even screwed in....was bouncing around

I maintenance/baby the car and don't know what happen.....

Anyhow, this is beyond my comprehension and DIY.....

-does anyone know how I can clean the spark plug hole?
-what happens with the metal piece from there?
-what do i need to do to clean it?
-can i drive it to the mechanic w/o the coil / spark plug in one of the cylinder?

PLEASE HELP, this is the first major problem I've had.......any suggestions/comments are more than appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'd try a pair of long needle nose pliers to pick out any junk from the hole. After that, I'd use a shop vac.

Yes you can drive it with 3 cylinders. It will sound like death and drive like it, but likely will not hurt it. I did it with my truck (5 out of 6) for a mile or so. I wouldn't go far, nor drive it on the highway.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you drive it without the Spark Plug Inserted.. It will suck and Blow VERY high speed wind through the Spark Plug Hole.. so the Debris that the wind will knock loose, will LIKELY be sucked into the Engine..

My Advice.. Get some Long Tools.. like Dental/medical Stuff.. some Hardware stores have them.. and carve and clean out the Goo as best you can..

Take something Like a Piece of Spunge, and Stuff it into the Spark plug hole, to prevent the Debris from falling into the Motor, and Clean out the debris.. Likely a Vacuum will be nessasary..

My Opinion.. If you take it to a Mechanic.. he'll say pull the Head.. and that ( Usually ) is a Motor Pull.. So I think you have NOTHING to loose by doing this yourself..

Just Get Confortable.. get the Right tools.. and do it yourself..

Sorry 'Bout your problems..

Cap

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cap, thanks for the comment...that's what I was afraid of. I'm not very knowledgeable on ICE so I don't know which parts connect to what but driving 100 miles with the spark plug jumping around and not being screwed in its place allows the metal shrapnel and plastic from the coils to fall through the hole where the spark plug sits into.....whatever compartments are below the spark plug level.....

Where does it fall to? Into the engine itself?

People advise me to remove the valve cover and clean it meaning I would have to get new gaskets if warp or not to prevent the car from leaking.....(current state it's not leaking)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Directly below the Spark Plug is the Piston Top.. so you Likely Sucked some debris into the Cylinder already..

If you look in the Valve Cover hole for the spark plug, you can see the 'Parting Line' for the Cover top to Plug Tube Cylinder.. you will not get that much more room by taking off the Valve Cover.. I'd leave it on for now..

Find some Hemostats and long carving tools at the Hobby Store ( I said Hardware store before.. I was Lying, I ment Hobby Store :) ).. and start to work.. Don't forget to stuff up the Spark Plug Hole.. Spunge ( Not the Abrasive Type!! ) or Paper Towles.. as they will burn off if dropped into the Engine..

Not much you can do about the Pieces that already got sugged in.. just hope thay pass through..

I really do not see how you can screw up from this point.. Everthing you do will be a Salvage Opperation.. Just keep the Debris out of the Hole as much as you can..

At some point before you spend too much Time/Money on this.. you will need to verify if the Spark Plug Threads are still there.. as that will determine the Next Phases of the repair..

Cap

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'll add a couple of things to Cap's answer. If it is possible, I'd start with screwing the plug back in finger tight. Next use a shop vac and clean as much junk out as you can. Scrape as much of the other stuff free as you can. Vacuum. Repeat until you get as much stuff out as you can.

Pull the plug. Vacuum. Turn the engine by hand until both the intake and exhaust valves are open. Vacuum. Stuff a grease covered rag into the plug hole. You should be able to thoroughly clean out the plug hole. Vacuum. The greased rag will catch anything that falls.

If you can't screw the plug in, vacuum, then skip to the greased rag step. That should get it cleaned up enough to either have the threads chased or a helicoil installed.

I've had a similar thing happen on my Taco except for the melting. Had a helicoil installed and went on with life. No other damage.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
1) How do I turn the engine to clean it?
2) I took off the valve cover but couldn't do much.....
3) I can't screw in the spark plug so I will need helicoil installed? Can I install that myself or need to be taken to a mechanic?

I called a mobile mechanic, he said he could clean it all out, do gasket job etc, for $500

Also, metal hook on spark plugs at the tip are....gone....somewhere in the hole.....so what would I have to do now? What do you guys think?

I was thinking of getting the helicoil install, put the plug back in, spark plug coil back and just drive it as is---and pray that things will go ok.....even still after the "cheap fix," I would still have to get the engine pressure and compression tested.....

Comments and assistant is need, THANK YOU!!!!!

EDIT:::: I've read more about helicoil and there's a tab at the end that will need to break off? another piece of shrapnel into my engine is a bad thing?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My guess is that the plug was not properly torqued and worked its way out. Banging around caused the tip to break off.

Don't try the helicoil yourself. Let someone that has experience install it. Have them run a compression test before installation just to verify that the cylinder isn't screwed up.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
My guess is that the plug was not properly torqued and worked its way out. Banging around caused the tip to break off.

Don't try the helicoil yourself. Let someone that has experience install it. Have them run a compression test before installation just to verify that the cylinder isn't screwed up.
+1

For the Spark Plug Repair, I use the Inserts, rather than the Heli-Coil.. The Insert is a Formed 'Shell' that will screw into the Larger Hole, and reduce it to the proper Size for the Spark Plug Threads.. They stand up to abuse better that the Heli-Coil.. also no 'Tang'..

HISTORY..

I had a car that injested Pieces of the Cracked Air Cleaner Cover.. went through the Engine, and just left some 'Divits' on the head ..

You never know..

Might be Time for the Mechanic to take a peek..

Cap

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm wondering how much all of this would cost. Thinking of doing a v 6 swap but I need a mechanic or place to take it to in southern california

Putting the repair cost toward the swap

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The Spark Plug Insertet set is something like $18. If I remember corectly.. I have one sitting in my tool box now.. You just Drive the 'Tap' into the Spark Plug hole with a Spark Plug Wrench, till it bottoms out.. then remove the Tap.. suck and Blow as many of the Chips out of the Engine as you can.. then put the Insert on the End of a good spark plug, and screw it back into the Hole with some 'Lock Snot' on the threads of the Insert.. after the Loc Snot Cures, the Insert is good to go..

Takes an Experianced person about 10 Minutes to do.. then a few hours for the Goo to set up..

as for the Pieces in the Motor.. Roll the Dice,.... take a Chance....

Cap

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Cap, thank you. And thank you all.

I think instead of healing the engine, I'll just bandage it by getting the insert....from where? Auto zone?

And just drive it til the engine blows and get a complete swap.

What bums me out the most is the car barely had 60k miles on it....then again my wife was drivingit pretty hard....red line and clutch dump lol

But she had fun so I'm not mad.

Also can you provide instructions? As in do I need to drill it to get the old thread out?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
To help prevent chips from falling into the engine while using the tap, put lots of grease on it. Most of the chips will stick to the grease. Also take it slow and go forward and backward. Take the tap out of the hole several times before you get all the way through. Again, this minimizes chips into the engine.

I wouldn't think that a mechanic would charge more than $100. I think mine was a lot less. What you have going for you is that it is a straight shot into the hole that makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
To help prevent chips from falling into the engine while using the tap, put lots of grease on it. Most of the chips will stick to the grease. Also take it slow and go forward and backward. Take the tap out of the hole several times before you get all the way through. Again, this minimizes chips into the engine.

I wouldn't think that a mechanic would charge more than $100. I think mine was a lot less. What you have going for you is that it is a straight shot into the hole that makes it a lot easier.
While it is a straight shot.. it is pretty far down there with the motor fully assembled which can lead to errors. I guess my thinking is a bit different from everyone elses. If the car is currently not functioning and you can afford to have it down for a few more days. Why not drain the coolant, rip the head off, and verify that there is no debris or damage?

Also, it would be worth while to do a compression check after you've installed the heli-coil. Just different trains of thought. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That is not an easy task.. Lots of cussing.. and bleeding.. The Intake Manifold, and the Cam Cover are the Hangups..

Cap
This is true. I remember removing mine while diagnosing my motor and it was no small feat. I do not know the OP's mechanical aptitude, so I suppose it would not be a wise move to begin tearing into the motor.

My train of thought is based on what I would do for my own car. Rather than risking further damage or fixing one of what could be many issues, I would go through the trouble. But then and again, my MRS is not my daily driver and I have no issues working on motors.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.