MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up my Spyder after about a week (drove fine last time I had it out), and the engine was shaking immediately at idle, CEL came on flashing. Code reader pulled a P0304.

I've been troubleshooting this one using the Toyota service manual, but have basically just been replacing things starting from cheapest and working my way up. Initially swapped ignition coils around and it didn't change the error. At this point I've replaced all four plugs (Denso), 4 ignition coils (Denso), MAF (Denso) - cleared the code and same error.

When I pulled the plugs to replace them, the driver's side plug was dry and white, the other three were wet. Is cylinder 4 on the driver side? Can I assume that the injector on the driver's side is bad? OEM injectors from dealer are $214, I was thinking at that price I could replace all 4 with Denso injectors (part# 297-0003 for $75-95 each). I figure all these parts are 20 years old at this point. Just looking for a little reassurance before spending another $400 in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Can I assume that the injector on the driver's side is bad?
You can assume that if you want to. However, it could also be the driver transistor or just a loose connector. If you are tired of spending money, you could swap the injectors around to find out for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can assume that if you want to. However, it could also be the driver transistor or just a loose connector. If you are tired of spending money, you could swap the injectors around to find out for sure.
That's probably the smart move. That will tell me that the injector is, in fact, bad. I'll still probably swap them all while I'm in there. but at least if it doesn't change that it's wiring or ecu?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have the following codes P0174 P300 P302. I put a new set of coils and they are still there. I just ordered some green injectors. I’ll let you guys know what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Started up my Spyder after about a week (drove fine last time I had it out), and the engine was shaking immediately at idle, CEL came on flashing. Code reader pulled a P0304.

I've been troubleshooting this one using the Toyota service manual, but have basically just been replacing things starting from cheapest and working my way up. Initially swapped ignition coils around and it didn't change the error. At this point I've replaced all four plugs (Denso), 4 ignition coils (Denso), MAF (Denso) - cleared the code and same error.

When I pulled the plugs to replace them, the driver's side plug was dry and white, the other three were wet. Is cylinder 4 on the driver side? Mike Cross at AutoGuysLand will help you to find down the answer "Clean the throttle position sensor and fuel filter". If you concern, you can visit #AutoGuysLand. Can I assume that the injector on the driver's side is bad? OEM injectors from dealer are $214, I was thinking at that price I could replace all 4 with Denso injectors (part# 297-0003 for $75-95 each). I figure all these parts are 20 years old at this point. Just looking for a little reassurance before spending another $400 in the wrong direction.
Have you thought it could be another reasons not only the injector? I think you should try something as below if it helps or not.
- Clean the throttle position sensor and fuel filter
-Check the fuel pump and check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. If low fuel pressure can cause the problem with engine.
-Check if there is vacuum leak or not.
-Check the cylinder compression if it has low compression, it is possible a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you thought it could be another reasons not only the injector? I think you should try something as below if it helps or not.
- Clean the throttle position sensor and fuel filter
-Check the fuel pump and check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. If low fuel pressure can cause the problem with engine.
-Check if there is vacuum leak or not.
-Check the cylinder compression if it has low compression, it is possible a bad head gasket.
It's consistently been only a cylinder 4 code (cleared in in between replacing plugs, ignitors and O2 sensor). So I'd think it's something specific to the cylinder, putting the injector/wiring/ecu controlling the injector next on my list. Would fuel filter/tps/pump be less consistent or throw a P0300? I haven't checked compression or searched for vacuum leaks. Been doing what I can easily do in my garage out of the FSM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: The driver's side fuel injector is registering infinite resistance across the two leads. The other three are 13.8-14.1. So that's the answer. Parts ordered.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
... I'd think it's something specific to the cylinder...

...Would fuel filter/tps/pump be less consistent or throw a P0300?
That is probably true. However, there doesn't need to be just one cause. There could be some factor that makes #4 weaker than the others, but that is not necessarily the primary cause of the malfunction.

Maybe yes and maybe not. If the condition is marginal, it might only affect the weakest cylinder. Not to say that you shouldn't want to fix everything. This is a warning about over-generalizing conclusions from the information that you have.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
A dirty injector will cause a cylinder specific code. I would expect any problems up stream of the injectors to throw codes to other injectors if all the injectors are in the same condition. I used a few cans of chevron techron over several full tanks of gas to clean the injectors on my spyder, it was throwing different 30x codes all the time. Now I have more than 1,000 miles without pending or actual code showing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: 4 new Denso injectors installed (they are the exact same ones that I took out of the car - Toyota dealer wanted $214/each these were from an ebay seller NIB for $78/each)

Just drove it about 200 miles since then and no issues. Pretty easy job. Used this vdeo for reference:
Also replaced the four insulators that the injectors sit on. There was a bunch of dirt/crud around there so I rigged a fuel line to the vacuum to minimize debris falling into the engine...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts